Health Careers Exploration
Each of the Alaska AHEC centers has staff dedicated to recruiting Alaskans into health careers. They are involved in exposing Alaskans of all ages to the wide range of health careers through a multitude of activities. Examples of these activities include:
- Partnering and supporting summer health programs such as U-DOC/Della Keats, the biomedicine module of the Alaska Summer Research Academy in Fairbanks, the annual Mini-Medical School hosted by the Alaska WWAMI biomedical program, and Allied Health camps in Barrow
- Organizing and sponsoring HOSA (Health Occupations Students of America) Chapters throughout the state
- Providing tours and job shadowing experiences in a health care setting
- Arranging for guest speakers from a wide variety of health professions for classrooms, community events, and youth organizations
- Working with school teachers, counselors, and principals to bring health care career information into the schools
- Encouraging those in career transition or those re-entering the work force to consider health care as a career option
These are just a few examples of staff activities. To learn more about what each center is doing in terms of recruiting Alaskans into the health field, please visit our regional AHEC websites.
Click on the tabs below for information about specific programs.
In order to view PDF files on your computer, you must have a PDF reader program installed. If you do not already have such a reader, you can download a free reader at Adobe's website: Download Adobe Acrobat Reader Software