At a Glance
Years in School (after high school graduation):
$33.04-$* (Mean $66.68).
*Indicates the estimate is not available, or the hourly wage is greater than $100, or the annual wage is greater than $208,000. Based on 2016 Alaska DOL data.
One-page Description (PDF):
Chiropractors are concerned with the healthy functioning of the entire body, and focus on the spinal column as a source of many illnesses. Diagnosis of a patient’s health problem is done through patient interviews, physical examinations, x-ray examinations, and laboratory tests. The patient is then either treated or referred to another health care provider for further assessment.
Chiropractic treatment consists primarily of adjusting and manipulating the body, especially the spinal column. Some chiropractors supplement adjustment with therapies involving water, light, heat, diet, exercise, and rest. Chiropractors do not use prescription drugs or surgery.
Most chiropractors are self-employed and have a general practice. Some specialize in chiropractic roentgenology (x-rays) or chiropractic orthopedics (the prevention of skeletal deformities). Other chiropractors teach or engage in professional research.
Few chiropractors can establish a full time practice in rural Alaska. Those who do are located in urban areas or regional centers and travel to outlying communities on a scheduled basis.
- Graduation from high school with a strong background in science, math, and English.
- Completion of a four-year college degree program, with coursework in biology and the sciences.
- Completion of a four-year chiropractic program. The student spends the first two years in the study of sciences, and the final two years in clinical study.
- Successful completion of a state licensing examination.
- Must pass National Board of Chiropractic Examinations (4 parts)
There are no chiropractic programs in Alaska. The closest program is in Portland, OR:
For a list of other chiropractic schools in the United States, visit: http://www.naturalhealers.com/qa/chiropractic.html
In order to view PDF files on your computer, you must have a PDF reader program installed. If you do not already have such a reader, you can download a free reader at Adobe's website: Download Adobe Acrobat Reader Software