Speech Language Pathologist

At a Glance

Years in School (after high school graduation):


Hourly Wage:

$29.93-$59.60 (Mean $42.50)
*based on 2016 Alaska DOL data

One-page Description (PDF):

Speech Language Pathologist

Professional Activities

Speech-language pathologists (SLPs) are specialists in communication disorders who work to prevent, assess, diagnose, and treat speech, language, social communication, cognitive-communication, and swallowing disorders in children and adults. SLPs work in many different developmental, education, and health care settings with varying roles, levels of responsibility, and client populations.

Speech-language pathologists often work in hospitals, private clinics, community agencies, schools, infant learning programs, nursing homes, or home health agencies. Because of the high demand for speech-language pathology services, part-time, full-time, and “as needed” basis opportunities may be available. In many settings, SLPs work as part of a collaborative, interdisciplinary team, which includes family members as well as teachers, physicians, audiologists, psychologists, social workers, physical and occupational therapists, and rehabilitation counselors.

Alaska requires a license to practice and certification by the American Speech-Language and Hearing Association for any non-public school setting. School-based Speech Language Pathologists must have special services certification through the Department of Education and Early Development.

Educational Requirements

  • Graduation from high school with coursework in science, math, and English.
  • Graduation from a four-year college with a Bachelor’s degree.
  • Completion of a master’s degree in speech language pathology from an accredited program.
  • The State of Alaska requires all Speech Language Pathologists practicing in non-school settings, such as private practices and hospitals, to be licensed. Speech Language Pathologists employed by school districts must hold a Type C Special Services certificate.


Academic Programs

University of Alaska Anchorage (UAA) has several programs in speech-language pathology:
• A collaborative program with East Carolina University’s distance education Master of Science in Communication Sciences and Disorders program.
• A minor in Speech-Language Pathology. The minor is also an option for the Bachelor of Science in Health Sciences Pre-Professional Track.
• A Speech-Language Pathology post-baccalaureate certificate program which enables individuals with a Bachelor’s degree in another discipline to obtain the prerequisite courses needed to apply to the M.S. program mentioned above.

For further information about these programs, contact:
Ellen Brigham - Speech-Language Pathology Program Coordinator
Phone: (907) 786-4468
Email: etbrigham@uaa.alaska.edu
Website: http://www.uaa.alaska.edu/coe/degrees/SLP-Programs/speech-language-pathology.cfm


State Contact:

The Alaska Speech-Language-Hearing Association
Email: aksha907@gmail.com
Website: http://aksha.org/


For State of Alaska licensing information, contact:
Department of Commerce, Community, and Economic Development
Division of Corporations, Business and Professional Licensing
Professional Licensing Section: Audiologists and Speech-Language Pathologists
P.O. Box 110806
Juneau, AK 99811-0806
Phone: (907) 465-2550
Email: license@alaska.gov
Website: https://www.commerce.alaska.gov/web/cbpl/ProfessionalLicensing.aspx

National Contact:

American Speech-Language-Hearing Association
2200 Research Boulevard
Rockville, MD 20850
Toll free: (800) 638-8255
Email: http://www.asha.org/forms/contact-asha
Website: http://www.asha.org/

In order to view PDF files on your computer, you must have a PDF reader program installed. If you do not already have such a reader, you can download a free reader at Adobe's website: Download Adobe Acrobat Reader Software

Back to top