The Rural Immersion Institute of the North (RIIN) is a roughly 3-week program that introduces healthcare students to the realities of providing care in rural Alaska. Students spend the beginning of the program in Anchorage, learning about Alaskan culture and meeting with healthcare professionals to hear about their experiences. They also go on some tourist excursions to explore some of the adventure Alaska has to offer! The middle 10 days are spent job-shadowing healthcare professionals in a rural community somewhere in the state. The program ends back in Anchorage, where students present their experiences and lessons learned.
Dates and Deadlines
- Sept. 4, 2018: Applications open for 2019 program.
- Oct. 31, 2018: Deadline for priority consideration. Applications are still accepted after this date but applicants are added to the waitlist in the order received.
- Dec. 1, 2018: Applicants notified of acceptance.
- Dec. 31, 2018: $500 deposit due.
- Jan. 31, 2019: All required paperwork must be complete.
- Feb. 28, 2019: First tuition installment due.
- Apr. 30, 2019: Second tuition installment due.
- Jul. 10, 2019: Start of RIIN program.
- Jul. 31, 2019: Last day of RIIN program.
- $20 application fee, payable online via PayPal
- $3,500 tuition (does not include flight from home state to Anchorage, meals at the rural site, and paperwork fees)
- Note: All participants are required to pass a background check, which includes fingerprinting at the applicant's expense.
- Scholarships are available. To apply for scholarship aid, complete the last section of the RIIN application. Scholarship amounts will vary depending on need and the number of students who require aid.
Apply online to be apart of RIIN!
For more information on RIIN, contact: