Children's Behavioral Health OEC
People who work with kids with challenging behaviors or mental health diagnoses have
chosen one of the most demanding careers, but also one of the most rewarding. They
go by different titles: Foster parent, family or child advocate, case worker, residential
staff, activity therapists, educators and classroom aides. They all share the commitment
to help kids develop resiliency and skills necessary to face life's challenges.
The Occupational Endorsement Certificate (OEC) in Children's Behavioral Health (CBH) is dedicated to these adults. The CBH courses are specifically designed to help students gain the skills necessary to be successful with challenging children.
Occupational Endorsement Certificate, Children’s Behavioral Health
The Occupational Endorsement Certificate, Children’s Behavioral Health is a 16-credit
occupational endorsement for Direct Service Professionals currently working or planning
to work with children and youth with emotional, behavioral, or intellectual disabilities.
By completing the endorsement certificate requirements, students gain skills essential
to become effective members of therapeutic treatment teams.
Students who successfully complete this program will be able to:
- Use knowledge of therapeutic techniques, child development, and cultural responsiveness to interpret treatment plans in therapeutic settings for children and youth.
- Apply an array of strategies to support and shape behavior of children and youth with challenging behaviors.
- Abide by professional practices accepted in the field of children’s behavioral health.
- Blend concepts and skills to develop trauma-informed practices in children’s behavioral health services.
Insert Text Block with Header here.Ikautaq Online Application
STEP Online Application
Ikautaq PDF Application
STEP PDF Application
(To be eligible for Ikautaq Project funding you must be Alaska Native)
UAA Center for Human Development
2702 Gambell St. Suite 103
Anchorage, Alaska 99503
Ph: (907) 272-8270
1 (800) 243-2199
TTY: (907) 264-6206
Fax: (907) 274-4802
Who should enroll?
- People who work with children who have difficult behaviors
- Parents/Foster parents of children with behavior diagnoses
- Educators and paraprofessionals
- New employees working in children's services or other provider organizations
- Supervisors in the children's services system of care
- Direct service professionals wanting to improve their abilities to contribute to treatment teams
The Children's Behavioral Health OEC is offered through the UAA Center for Human Development, a member of the College of Health and Social Welfare, University of Alaska Anchorage.