The Department of Health, Physical Education & Recreation leads the State of Alaska in cultivating confident and competent health, fitness and recreation professionals who enhance the health and well-being of people and communities.
The Department of Health, Physical Education & Recreation facilitates unique learning opportunities through community-engaged, hands-on and research-based coursework to prepare students for leadership roles in the health, fitness and recreation industries.
We accomplish this by:
- Promoting life-long learning and leadership by modeling and creating an environment that inspires passion, resilience and professionalism
- Honoring the diversity of the professions represented and embracing the influence of each
- Collaborating with community and industry to enhance learning
- Attracting talented students, faculty and staff
The Department of Health, Physical Education & Recreation places high value on:
- Academic and professional integrity
- Student service
- Stewardship of resources
- Lifelong personal wellness and learning
- Collaboration and teamwork
- Community and industry service
UAA is a Silver Level Exercise is Medicine® Campus
Exercise is Medicine® (EIM), a global health initiative managed by the American College of Sports Medicine (ACSM), encourages primary care physicians and health care providers to include physical activity in treatment plans and to refer patients to evidence-based exercise programs and qualified exercise professionals.
EIM is committed to the belief that physical activity promotes optimal health, is integral in the prevention and treatment of many medical conditions, and should be regularly assessed and included as part of health care. UAA Department of Health, Physical Education & Recreation supports this belief and incorporates the EIM philosophy into curriculum.