You are using an outdated browser. Please upgrade your browser to improve your experience.

Academic Programs

The Department of Health, Physical Education & Recreation (HPER) offers academic programs that develop a comprehensive knowledge of human anatomy and physiology, the ability to critically evaluate and direct human movement, and skills to communicate well with various groups of people. Higher level programs also develop additional math, writing and technology competence.

BS in Kinesiology

The Bachelor of Science in Kinesiology degree explores the fundamental principles of physical education, kinesiology, wellness and leadership. Graduates often pursue:

Careers in:

  • Wellness
  • Personal training
  • Health and fitness club administration
  • Clinical health programs
  • Outdoor education
  • Guiding
  • Camp administration
  • Recreation planning
  • Tour operations
  • Park administration 

More Informationoptional hidden text

Further studies in:

  • Physical education: Masters of Arts in teaching (MAT) program admission
  • Physical therapy: Doctor of Physical Therapy (DPT) program admission
  • Occupational therapy: Master of Occupational Therapy (MOT) or Doctor of Occupational Therapy (OTD) program admission
  • Chiropractic education: Doctor of Chiropractic (DC) program admission 

Advisingoptional hidden text

Minor: Athletic Training or Outdoor Leadership

Minors help deepen an academic experience and enhance employability. A minor may only be issued concurrently with a baccalaureate degree. A minor from UAA will consist of a minimum of 18 credits, at least 6 of which must be upper-division.

You must earn at least 3 credits in residence in each minor field. You must also earn a UAA cumulative GPA of at least 2.00 (C) in the minor. You must follow minor requirements from the same catalog used for the baccalaureate program. Refer to each discipline for specific requirements. Some course offerings within these minors are based on need.

Declare your minor early. Once you have declared your minor, promptly schedule an advising appointment with the HPER Office. The advisor will help you plan for successful completion of the required course work. 

HPER Minors

Minors available through the Department of Health, Physical Education & Recreation include:

Declare a Minor Onlineoptional hidden text

Schedule Advising Appointmentoptional hidden text


Master of Arts in Teaching, Physical Education


Important: Initial teacher certification for the MAT program at UAA will be discontinued effective Fall 2019.

If you are interested in pursing an secondary education certification, please contact our office at 907-786-4083 for guidance. 

Recreation Courses

The Department of Health, Physical Education & Recreation offers a variety of recreational activity courses for students who wish to learn new physical skills and/or develop personal wellness. Classes are open to the community and all UAA students, staff and faculty.

These courses are designed for personal development and enrichment. Many courses are developed with the beginner in mind. However, due to the nature of the course and risks involved, some course may have prerequisite courses, skills, and/or fitness levels.

View our recreation course offerings using the Current Offerings link on the right or contact the Department of Health, Physical Education & Recreation at 907.786.4083 or at for more information on classes.

Important Note

In order to take any class at the University of Alaska Anchorage, you must first be admitted to the university.

  • Those only interested in registering into recreational activity courses can go to UAOnline and apply as non-degree students (free). 
  • Those interested in admission to degree programs can visit UAA Admissions for more information on the admission process.

Course Proposal 

Teach a recreation class! To share your ideas for an activity or recreation class, contact Department of Health, Physical Education & Recreation at 907.786.4083 or at for more information

Professional Continuing Education

The Department of Health, Physical Education & Recreation offers professional development courses for Alaskan teachers and continuing education courses for businesses and other groups in the areas of adventure activities, aquatics, martial arts, sports, wellness and fitness, and wilderness medicine.

Contact the department at for more information.

Important Note

In order to take a class at the University of Alaska Anchorage, you must first be admitted to the university.

For information on the admission process, visit the Office of Admissions webpage.