MPH > ADMISSIONS
In addition to the Admission Requirements for Master’s Degrees, and the University requirements for admission, students should also meet the following criteria when applying for admission to the MPH program:
- Have earned a baccalaureate degree from a regionally accredited institution in the United States, or a foreign equivalent.
- Have a cumulative grade point average (GPA) of at least 3.00 (B average on a 4.00 scale) in their baccalaureate degree.
- Submit documentation indicating a grade of 2.00 (“C” or higher) in an introductory statistics course which covers descriptive and inferential statistics.
- Provide copy of a substantial professional writing sample.
- Submit an essay explaining how and why obtaining the MPH degree would contribute to the student’s career goals.
- Submit a current resume or vita.
Note also that:
To the extent that there are limited positions available in the program, preference may be given to residents of the State of Alaska as defined by the University’s policy on residency for tuition purposes.
Preference may also be given to applicants with two or more years work experience in the field of public health. Such applicants must submit documentation of their public health-related work experience, and a request for special consideration to the admissions committee. This may be done in the form of a cover letter.
Completed applications are reviewed twice each year. Departmental deadlines are March 1 (for next Fall admission) and October 1 (for next Spring admission).
IMPORTANT NOTE: University admission must be successfully processed before the Department will consider an application complete, so applicants are encouraged to apply to the University first and early.
Questions about the MPH program can be directed to Katie Frost, Administrative Assistant to the Department of Health Sciences.
For general information about Graduate Studies at UAA, visit the Graduate School web site.