Associate of Applied Science in Human Services
For questions or advising needs, contact:
Lynn Paterna, Associate Degree Coordinator
Students graduating with an Associate of Applied Science in Human Services will be able to:
- Apply the skills and competencies necessary to assess clients' individual needs, and develop and implement a plan of action.
- Demonstrate knowledge of the National Organization for Human Services (NOHS) Standards for Ethical Behavior in their professional work.
- Demonstrate active listening, counseling skills, dealing effectively with conflict, clarifying expectations, and establishing rapport.
- Apply knowledge to working in community-based human services organizations.
A. General University Requirements
Complete the General University Requirements for Associate of Applied Science (AAS) Degrees (described in the UAA Course Catalog)
B. General Education Requirements
Complete the General Course Requirements for AAS Degrees (GCRs) (described in the UAA Course Catalog)
C. Major Requirements
- Complete the following required core courses (30 credits):
|ANTH A200 or
|Natives of Alaska or
|PSY A111 or
|General Psychology or
|HUMS A107||History and Systems of Human Services||3|
|HUMS A155||Human Relations in the Workplace||3|
|HUMS A223||Introduction to Paraprofessional Counseling I||3|
|HUMS A256||Groups and Organizations||3|
|HUMS A295A||Human Services Practicum I||3|
|HUMS A295B||Human Services Practicum II||3|
|HUMS A324||Paraprofessional Counseling II||3|
|HUMS A353||Working with Individuals with Disabilities: A Human Service Perspective||3|
2. Complete 9 credits from the following electives:
|HUMS A123||Community Education and Prevention in Substance Abuse||3|
|HUMS A125||Intervention and Prevention of High Risk Behaviors in Adoloscents||3|
|HUMS A224||Conflict and Collaborative Systems||3|
|HUMS A290||Selected Topics (Varies by Semester)||3|
3. Choose 12 credits of additional University electives. Consultation with faculty advisor is recommended.
4. A total of 60 credits is required for the degree
Suggested Course Sequence
A.A.S. Degree (All courses must be at the 100 level or above)
History and Systems
of Human Services
| HUMS A223
|COMM A111 or
COMM A235 or
COMM A237 or
|English Placement or
| PSY A111 or
|HUMS Elective|| HUMS A256
| WRTG A111
| HUMS A353
Working with Individuals with Disabilities
|WRTG A211, 212, 213, or 214|
| HUMS A295B
|HUMS Elective||HUMS Elective|| Elective/
12 credits of additional University electives are required. For students intending to pursue their Bachelor's Degree after completing the Associate, we recommend taking electives that will meet GER requirements for the BHS degree. See UAA Catalog for approved GER list.
A TOTAL OF 60 CREDITS IS REQUIRED FOR THE A.A.S. DEGREE IN HUMAN SERVICES
Practicum I & II are required for the AAS in Human Services.
The Department follows strict guidelines dictated by the accrediting body for Human
Services Programs (CSHSE).
Students must meet ALL prerequisites to be admitted.
Practicum I - HUMS A295A Prerequisites:
Admission to Human Services AAS Degree Program
The following courses must be completed with a grade of C or better:
- HUMS A107 History and Systems of Human Services
- HUMS A155 Human Relations in the Workplace
- HUMS A223 Introduction to Paraprofessional Counseling I
- WRTG A111 Methods of Written Communication (completed or concurrently enrolled)
Practicum II - HUMS A295B Prerequisites:
HUMS A295A Human Services Practicum I (with grade C or better)