Occupational Endorsement Certificates
- Apply online through UAA for the Occupational Endorsement Certificate. This can be done before completing all of the courses required.
- Satisfy the General University Requirements for Occupational Endorsement Certificates found in the UAA Catalog.
- Complete the required courses with a grade of C or better and earn a cumulative GPA of at least 2.00.
- Apply for graduation through UAOnline the semester in which you complete the above requirements. There is no charge for applying to graduate. Application deadlines can be found at Office of the Registrar: Dates and Deadlines.
- Apply online through UAA admissions.
- Click the "Apply Now" button.
- Log in and create a new application for the OEC.
- Enter the information by choosing the corresponding OEC major for either Conflict Resolution or Children's Behavioral Health. (Example for OEC Conflict Resolution is shown below.)
AAS and BHS Students
Coursework used to complete each OEC may also apply to undergraduate degrees. Students
who are pursing the Human Services associate and baccalaureate degrees may be able
to complete either the Conflict Resolution OEC or the Children's Behavioral Health
OEC without taking additional courses by choosing OEC courses as HUMS Electives.
Please contact your Human Services Academic Advisor for details.
The Occupational Endorsement Certificate in Conflict Resolution provides students
the opportunity to acquire skills used in various conflict resolution methods used
in human service agencies. The 18 credit program provides a balanced education in
Family Mediation, Alternative Dispute Resolution, Paraprofessional Counseling and
Group Facilitation. Instruction is delivered through classroom lectures, demonstrations,
case studies and role plays.
Program Outcomes:Students completing this certificate are prepared to:
- Understand the nature of conflict through theory and collaborative practices.
- Demonstrate enhanced communication skills and interpersonal skills to include negotiation.
- Incorporate conflict management skills in human service practice.
Graduation Requirements:Complete the following required courses:
|HUMS A223||Introduction to Paraprofessional Counseling I||3|
|HUMS A224||Conflict and Collaborative Systems||3|
|HUMS A324||Paraprofessional Counseling II||3|
|HUMS A333||Alternative Dispute Resolution||3|
|HUMS A334||Family Mediation||3|
|HUMS A435||Individual and Group Facilitation||3|
For questions regarding this certificate contact the Department of Human Services.
The Occupational Endorsement Certificate in Children’s Behavioral Health is offered
through the Center for Human Development. It is a 12-credit occupational endorsement for paraprofessionals who are currently
working with or planning to work with children and youth in therapeutic residential
settings. By completing the endorsement certificate requirements, students gain skills
essential to becoming effective members of therapeutic treatment teams.
Program Outcomes:Students who successfully complete this program will be able to:
- Use knowledge of therapeutic techniques, child development and cultural responsiveness to interpret treatment plans in therapeutic settings for children and youth.
- Apply an array of strategies to support and shape behavior of children and youth with challenging behaviors.
- Blend concepts and skills to develop trauma-informed practices in children’s behavioral
and mental health services.
Graduation RequirementsComplete the following required courses:
|Introduction to Children's Behavioral Health||3|
|DLS/HUMS A205||Teaching Social Skills to Youth in Children's Behavioral Health||3|
|DLS/HUMS A206||Positive Behavioral Supports in Children's Behavioral Health||3|
|DLS/HUMS A385||Working with Traumatized Children||3|
For questions regarding this certificate contact:
The Center for Human Development