Justice Center Events
The UAA Justice Center is a sponsor or participant in a number of events throughout the year. See individual event pages for podcasts, videos, handouts, and other resources associated with the events.
- The Fairbanks 4: Lessons Learned from Alaska's First Exoneration (9 Mar 2016)
- How the U.S. Supports Peacekeeping in Africa: Policing and Training (26 Mar 2016)
- ANCSA at 45 and 32nd Annual Alaska Native Law Conference (14 Oct 2016)
- 40 Years in Corrections: Are We Going Forward or Backward? (2 Mar 2015)
- Eighth Polar Law Symposium — Alaska 2015 (23–26 Sep 2015)
- Time to Legalize? A Public Discussion on Marijuana Law and Policy (5 Mar 2014)
- No More Silence in the Dark: A Panel Discussion on Reducing Domestic Violence and Sexual Assault in Alaska (19 Mar 2014)
- Minor Consuming Alcohol (MCA) Conference (4 Apr 2014)
- North to the Future: Opportunities and Change in Alaska's Emerging Frontiers (16 Oct 2014)
- Traffic Stops: What to Expect from Police (5 Nov 2014)
- Working in Institutional and Community Corrections (1 Mar 2013) — no video or podcast available. Link is to blog post re speakers.
- Gideon v. Wainwright: Celebrating 50 Years of Public Defenders for Criminal Offenses and a Proposal for a “Civil Gideon” (7 Mar 2013) — podcast
- Tribal Courts in Alaska: Past, Present, and Future (27 Mar 2013)
- The Resurgence of Tribal Courts: A Tribal Judge's Perspective (18 Nov 2013)
Justice and Legal Studies faculty podcasts from Campus Bookstore events
Podcasts are at University of Alaska on iTunes U under the categories below.
- "The Life of Small Businesses in Alaska: A Look at Employee Relations and Working Conditions" — Prof. Kristin Knudsen, J.D.; Rhonda Gerharz, Alaska Division of Workers' Compensation; Grant Larsen, Alaska Small Business Development Center; and Jeremy Applegate, Alaska Wage and Hour Administration. March 18, 2013.
History, Thought and Community
- "Force and Law Enforcement: A Panel Discussion" — Dr. Troy Payne; UAA Student Support Director Kim Patterson; and Anchorage Daily News reporter Casey Grove. October 2, 2013.
- "The Social Contract Today" — Prof. Jason Brandeis, J.D.; Dr. Alan Boraas, Dept. of Anthropology; Dr. Scott Gavorsky, Dept. of History; and Prof. Paola Banchero, Chair, Dept. of Journalism and Public Communications. February 27, 2012.