Of the 10,885 adult women in Alaska who participated in the Alaska Victimization Survey (AVS) from 2010 to 2015 in statewide and regional surveys, 3,483 were 60 years old or older.
- More than 1 in 9 Alaskan women age 60+ (11.5%) experienced psychological or physical abuse in the past year.
- One in 24 (4.1%) experienced physical abuse and one in 12 (8.4%) experienced psychological abuse (some experienced both).
- The Alaska rate for psychological or physical abuse is 1.7 times as high as the national rate.
- The Alaska rate for physical abuse is 2.4 times the national rate.
- The Alaska rate for psychological abuse is 1.6 times the national rate.
- Overall, 7,148 women in Alaska aged 60 or older experienced psychological or physical abuse in the past year. This includes 2,574 who experienced physical abuse and 5,216 who experienced psychological abuse.
For more detailed information about these findings, see “Older Women Face Psychological and Physical Abuse” by André B. Rosay. Alaska Justice Forum 34(1) (Summer 2017.
See also the transcript of this video.