You are using an outdated browser. Please upgrade your browser to improve your experience.
MEDEX Program Prerequisites
Applicants planning to apply to MEDEX next year must meet both the academic and clinical requirements by the final application deadline. The application cycle begins annually on May 1 with a final deadline of October 1. Please review the details for the clinical requirements and academic prerequisites found through the links on this page.
MEDEX continues to focus on educating experienced health personnel from diverse backgrounds.
Academic prerequisite overview:
- MEDEX Northwest prerequisites must be completed with a B- or better (per course) prior to the October 1 application deadline to qualify.
- It is strongly recommended that the science prerequisite courses be completed within the last five to seven years.
- Each prerequisite course must be taken as a “stand-alone” course, separate from other prior certificate training programs and professional degree programs.
- Courses must be taken at any regionally accredited institution for a letter grade or grade on a 4.0 scale. Before registering for courses, applicants should check the accreditation status of the institution(s) (both online and local) at the Council for Higher Education Accreditation.
- View detailed information on academic prerequisites here.
Clinical experience prerequisite overview:
- In addition to the academic requirements, all applicants must meet the minimum 2,000-hour paid, direct, hands-on clinical patient care prerequisites.
- Competitive MEDEX candidates have more than the minimum 2,000 hours (an average of 6.5 years) of paid experience, usually in primary care or emergency medicine.
- When considering a position in health care, remember that the clinical experience that MEDEX is looking for is in the direct delivery of patient care.
- View detailed information on clinical prerequisites here.