Only Dental Hygiene Program in Alaska
14 Students Selected Each Year for the Full-Major Program
40 Applicants Each Year for the Full-Major Program
High Employer Satisfaction
- Program has two tracks: one for new students looking to become registered dental hygienists and a bachelor's degree completion program for currently licensed hygienists.
- 120-credit bachelor's degree that takes approximately 4 years of full-time enrollment
- Annual, competitive selection process
- Full-major program starts every spring semester (January)
- Full-time enrollment on the UAA Anchorage campus required for two and a half (2.5) years
- Students complete clinicals in our on-campus dental clinic.
WHAT IS A DENTAL HYGIENIST?
The registered dental hygienist is a licensed oral health educator and clinical operator who, as part of the dental team, uses preventive, educational, and therapeutic methods which aid individuals and groups to attain and maintain optimum oral health. Dental hygienists can work as clinicians, educators, researchers, administrators, managers, preventive program developers, consumer advocates, sales and marketing managers, editors, and consultants. Clinical dental hygienists may work in a variety of health care settings such as private dental offices, schools, public health clinics, hospitals, managed care organizations, correctional institutions, or nursing homes.