- Apply for admission to the University. Students must be considered degree seeking at the University of Alaska Anchorage. Students are encouraged to apply as a Diagnostic Medical Sonography (DMS) pre-major as their first or second degree program choice.
- Meet with an academic advisor to develop an academic plan and learn more about the Diagnostic Medical Sonography program. Students are required to meet with an academic advisor to learn more about the career, program, application process and develop an academic plan.
- Complete required courses. Students must meet all prerequisites listed in UAA Catalog for the DMS program with a grade of "C" or better.
- Complete and submit application to the Diagnostic Medical Sonography Program. The application procedure process is listed below and applications must be complete upon submission. Incomplete applications will not be considered for review. Students are encouraged to review the application checklist prior to submitting their application.
Department Application Requirements
1. Complete twelve (12) hours of sonographer observations at two different medical/imaging facilities. Applicants will be required to upload a completed and signed Observation Form to the Diagnostic Medical Sonography web application. Pleast note: observations must be completed within 12 months of the application deadline.
2. Provide contact information for three (3) professional references by non-family members. Applicants will be required to provide names and contact information (phone number and email) for three professional references. References should be someone in a supervisory capacity, such as an employer, teacher, or supervisor from a volunteer position. Applicants must submit the contact information in the online application.
3. Complete required application essay. To evaluate an applicant’s interest in diagnostic medical sonography and written communication skills, a two page essay is required. Essays will be submitted in the application and must incorporate information pertaining to the following application essay requirements:
- Application Essay Requirements
- Describe your interest in medical sonography, and why you decided to choose it as an occupation.
- Describe any experience observing or working in medical imaging, to include any sonography experience.
- Describe any experience working in the treatment and/or care of individuals or in hospitality/customer service.
- Describe personal goals and expectations related to the Diagnostic Medical Sonography program.
- Describe any achievements, qualities, experiences, and school/community involvements that you feel make you a competitive candidate for the Diagnostic Medical Sonography program.
- Formatting Requirements
The essay should be typed, double-spaced, have one-inch margins, and use a 12pt. font size in either Times New Roman or Arial. The uploaded file must be a Word document.
4. Complete Diagnostic Medical Sonography Web Application by 4:30PM (local) on May 1, 2020. Applicants are encouraged to review the sample application prior to starting the web application.
2020 Interview Date
Applicant interviews are expected to be conducted on June 1 and June 2, 2020. Applicants selected for interview are encouraged to interview in-person at the Anchorage campus; however, distance interviews may be conducted via video conferencing as needed.
- Proof of completion of all Immunization Requirements.
- Proof of completion of current Basic Life Support (CPR) for Healthcare Providers certification.
- Proof of completion of criminal background check as instructed by the DMS program office.