You are using an outdated browser. Please upgrade your browser to improve your experience.
- Apply for admission to the University. Students must be considered degree seeking at the University of Alaska Anchorage. Students are encouraged to apply as a Diagnostic Medical Sonography (DMS) pre-major as their first or second degree program choice.
- Meet with an academic advisor to develop an academic plan and learn more about the Diagnostic Medical Sonography program. Students are required to meet with an academic advisor to learn more about the career, program, application process and develop an academic plan.
- Complete required courses. Students must meet all prerequisites listed in UAA Catalog for the DMS program with a grade of "C" or better.
- Complete and submit application to the Diagnostic Medical Sonography Program. The application procedure process is listed below and applications must be complete upon submission. Incomplete applications will not be considered for review. Students are encouraged to review the application checklist prior to submitting their application.
Department Application Requirements
1. Interview a sonographer OR complete twelve (12) hours of sonographer observations at two different medical/imaging facilities. Applicants are allowed to interview a sonographer as an alternative to completing clinical observations. Please review the Sonographer Interview Instructions for more detail. Applicants will upload the sonographer interview response to the application.
If the applicant has already completed the clinical observations, the applicant can still upload a completed and signed Observation Form to the Diagnostic Medical Sonography web application. Observations must be completed within 12 months of the application deadline. Please note: Providence Main Imaging and Providence Imaging Center are now available for Diagnostic Medical Sonography program applicant observations. Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org and specify observation needs for application to the DMS program.
2. Provide contact information for three (3) professional references by non-family members. Applicants will be required to provide names and contact information (phone number and email) for three professional references. References should be someone in a supervisory capacity, such as an employer, teacher, or supervisor from a volunteer position. Applicants must submit the contact information in the online application.
3. Complete required application essay. To evaluate an applicant’s interest in diagnostic medical sonography and written communication skills, a two page essay is required. Essays will be submitted in the application and must incorporate information pertaining to the following application essay requirements:
- Application Essay Requirements
- Describe what you find interesting about medical sonography.
- Explain why you decided to choose Diagnostic Medical Sonography as an occupation.
- Explain your career goals and how the AAS Diagnostic Medical Sonography degree will help you achieve them.
- Describe how your experience in the clinical environment (during the observation) or your interview with a sonographer has impacted your decision to continue with your application for the Diagnostic Medical Sonography program.
- Explain why you should be selected as a student in the program.
- Formatting Requirements
The essay should be typed, double-spaced, have one-inch margins, and use a 12pt. font size in either Times New Roman or Arial. The uploaded file must be a Word document.
4. Complete Diagnostic Medical Sonography Web Application by 4:30 p.m. on May 2, 2022. Applicants are encouraged to review the sample application prior to starting the web application.
2022 Interview Date
Interviews will now be completed online. Once the program receives the completed application, applicants will be emailed a link to the online interview. Interview questions must be recorded and submitted by May 31, 2022.
- Proof of completion of all Immunization Requirements.
- Proof of completion of current Basic Life Support (CPR) for Healthcare Providers certification.
- Proof of completion of criminal background check as instructed by the DMS program office.