CAAHEP requires that all accredited Medical Assisting Programs make public one or more measurable outcomes. UAA MA Program 2019 Annual Report Form (ARF) indicates:
100% Graduate Satisfaction
(2018 Graduate Cohort)
Student retention rate: 95.65%
(2017 Admission Cohort)
- 38 credit Certified Medical Assistant Preparation
- 60 credit Associate of Applied Science Degree.
- Articulated pathway that transitions graduates from CMA Exam to Associate's Degree without loss of credit.
- Annual selection process for clinical core courses with priority deadline of May 15
- 6-week clinical externship during the summer
- Graduates are eligible for Certified Medical Assistant (CMA) exam.
- In-demand job field with potential future occupational growth
Is medical assisting right for you?
In order to perform medical assisting duties, a student should have good manual dexterity, visual ability to locate patient veins and interpret color changes, and good hearing acuity. Most medical assistants should be able to lift in order to assist patients, and be able to bend, reach, and kneel; many medical assistants are required to stand for long periods of time. Other employment opportunities for which the Medical Assisting program provides training include medical transcriptionist, medical receptionist, medical coder, and health insurance specialist.
Message from the Director
Thank you for your interest in UAA's Medical Assisting Program. Our goal is to help you attain the skills and competencies needed to provide exceptional patient care. I am a graduate of this program and currently spend my summers working in a clinic in rural Alaska.
UAA's Medical Assisting Program provides a supervised hands-on experience allowing students to gain confidence and perfect their skills before heading out to practicum. Our program is a great choice for students looking to build a firm health career foundation, preparing for the Certified Medical Assisting exam (AAMA), or seeking to earn an Associate's Degree.
Our school's mission is to educate and develop allied health professionals to serve all of Alaskans. We look forward to sharing a passion for patient care with you.
Lisa Nash, M.Ed, CMA (AAMA)