Associate of Applied Science, Medical Assisting
Program Student Learning Outcomes
At the completion of this program, students are able to demonstrate:
- Basic knowledge in the principles and skills related to administrative, clinical, and general areas of medical assisting.
- Entry-level medical assistant employment skills.
- Professionalism as certified medical assistant (CMA).
Many Medical Assisting courses require completion of prerequisite requirements and/or department approval for enrollment. Please see the Application Procedure page for additional information.
Medical Assisting courses are primarily offered in fall and spring semesters. Some courses are only offered once per year. A limited number of medical assisting courses are offered during the summer. Students should meet with an academic advisor prior to registering for classes in order to determine the best sequencing of courses for their program of study. Part-time students are welcome.
General Course Requirements
Complete the following Associate of Applied Science General Course Requirements
- ENGL A111 Introduction to Composition (3)
- COMM A111 Fundamentals of Oral Communication or COMM A235 Small Group Communication or COMM A237 Interpersonal Communication or COMM A241 Public Speaking (3)
- ENGL A212 Technical Writing or ENGL A211 Academic Writing about Literature or ENGL A213 Writing in the Social & Natural Sciences or ENGL A214 Persuasive Writing (3)
- Complete the required courses for the Preparation for the Certified Medical Assisting (CMA) Examination with a minimum grade of C in each course. (40 credits)
- Complete 8 to 9 credits in the following courses:
- ACCT A101 Principles of Accounting I or ACCT A120 Bookkeeping for Business I (3)
- DN A101 Principles of Nutrition or DN A203 Nutrition for Health Sciences (3)
- MA A240 Medical Transcription II (3)
- MA A320 Advanced Case Studies in Medical Coding (2)
- MEDT A101 Phlebotomy Procedures (3)
- MEDT A110 Specimen Processing (3)
- MEDT A195A Phlebotomy Practicum (3
- RADT A101 Radiation Protection and Biology for Limited Radiography Professionals (3)
- Elective credits. (0-3)
A minimum of 60 credits is required for this degree.