Note: Due to the COVID-19 outbreak and the mandate to stay at home, students should not get immunizations at the present time nor should they contact the Student Health Center for immunization verifications right now. Student should check the websites periodically for future notice/updates on immunizations.
- Degree-seeking student status at the University of Alaska Anchorage. Students are encouraged to declare the AAS Medical Laboratory Technology or BS Medical Laboratory Science major. UAS and UAF students must also submit an application to become degree-seeking students at UAA.
- Complete or be in progress of the prerequisite course requirements by the application deadline. All prerequisite courses must be completed with a grade 'C ' or better by the start of the medical laboratory science entry curriculum. Per the UAA Catalog, applicants must have successfully passed prerequisite courses with a grade 'C' or better within two attempts. Applicants that have taken prerequisite courses more than two times to achieve a 'C' or better will be considered ineligible to apply without an approved exception to policy.
- Cumulative GPA of 2.5 or above including coursework from non-UA colleges or universities. Students may request a GPA calculation by contacting Allied Health Student Success Coordinator at 907-786-4894.
- Complete and submit application requirements as listed below.
- 2020 Application Process
1. Completion of prerequisite requirements. Students must complete all of the prerequisite coursework below by the start of the courses:
- CHEM A103 and CHEM A103L (or CHEM A105 and CHEM A105L)
- CHEM A104 and CHEM A104L (or CHEM A106 and CHEM A106L and CHEM A321)
- BIOL A111 and BIOL A111L
- BIOL A112 and BIOL A112L
Students still enrolled in prerequisite Spring 2020 courses will be eligible for selection for Summer and Fall 2020. Students still enrolled in prerequisite Summer 2020 courses will be eligible for Fall 2020.
2. Completion of Online Application. Applicants will be required to submit an online department application in order to be considered for one of the 2020 MLS seats. This includes the Student History Form, Essential Requirements Form, and Application Essay. The essay response of no more than 500 words addressing the following questions: How and why did you become interested in medical laboratory science? What are your short and long-term career goals and how does a degree in medical laboratory science help you achieve these goals? Please provide specific experiences that have influenced you including personal stories, lab experience, etc. Application essays will be copied and pasted into a text box in the online application.
3. Proof of current immunizations documented through the UAA Student Health and Counseling Center. Current UAA students are required to use the UAA Student Health & Counseling Center's online portal for tracking. Non-UAA students without access to the online portal must contact the department 907-786-4346 for an alternate method of submittal.
4. Optional Documentation of phlebotomy or laboratory experience. In order to receive additional points for phlebotomy or laboratory experience in the selection process, candidates must demonstrate current phlebotomy experience and/or documentation of laboratory experience. Applicants must complete the Phlebotomy or Laboratory Experience Form and upload it into the online application.
5. Interviews. Select applicants will be offered an interview in order to be considered for the program.
Please contact our department with any additional questions at 907-786-4346 or firstname.lastname@example.org.