Pharmacy Technology, OEC
Occupational Endorsement Certificate Requirements
- The Occupational Endorsement Certificate is comprised of six (6) courses offered during the Fall and Spring Semesters. All courses are offered distance-delivered through UAA's online course management system, Blackboard. Students must earn a satisfactory grade (C or higher) in all courses:
- PHAR A101 Introduction to Pharmacy (3)
- PHAR A105 Pharmacology for Technicians I (3)
- PHAR A107 Pharmacy Calculations (3)
- PHAR A111 Techniques of Pharmacy Practice (3)
- PHAR A115 Pharmacology for Technicians II (3)
- PHAR A192 Topics in Pharmacy (1)
- A total of 16 credits is required for this certificate.
Student Learning Outcomes
- Receive, screen and prepare prescription/medication orders checking for completeness, authenticity and accuracy.
- Initiate, verify, assist in the adjudication of, and collect payment and/or initiate billing for pharmacy services and goods.
- Purchase and maintain inventory of medications, equipment and devices according to an established plan.
- Maintain pharmacy equipment and facilities.
- Participate in the process for preventing medication misadventures, notifying the pharmacist when a problem or situation requires his/her attention.
- Communicate clearly when speaking or writing while maintaining confidentiality, compassion, and an image of professionalism.
The occupational endorsement is not contingent upon the student passing any type of external certification or licensure examination. Students should note that although this program has no age restrictions, the state of Alaska requires that all pharmacy technicians be at least 18 years of age prior to licensure.