Department Application Requirements
Apply to UAA as a Phlebotomy Occupational Endorsement Certificate (OEC).
Students must also submit their immunization records through the UAA Student Health Online Portal
. When this is completed, take, mail or fax your personal immunization records to
the Student Health and Counseling Center for verification. Bring the verification
form to the Medical Laboratory Sciences office to be placed in your student file.
Other immunization records will not be accepted.
Provide High School Diploma or GED equivalency and completion of appropriate placement
into WRTG A110 or proof of completion of WRTG A090 with a grade of C or better. Completion
of WRTG A111 and/or a previous Associate's or Bachelor's degree meets this requirement.
Contact the Medical Laboratory Science Department if you have questions concerning
the placement scores.
Enrollment in Phlebotomy courses is on a first-come, first-serve basis. Once a student
has fulfilled the above requirements, the student can request departmental approval
from the Medical Laboratory Science Department.
Prior to enrolling in a practicum (MEDT A195A, MEDT A195B), Phlebotomy students must:
- Demonstrate computer competency in the prerequisite MEDT courses.
- Have completed a background check from the State of Alaska. Contact the Medical Laboratory
Science Department for more information.
- Provide proof of personal medical insurance coverage.
- Provide updated vaccination information if required.
- Provide a current certificate in Basic Life Support for Health Care Providers (BLS-HCP)
issued by the American Heart Association.