You are using an outdated browser. Please upgrade your browser to improve your experience.
Associate of Applied Science, Physical Therapist Assistant
The UAA Physical Therapist Assistant Program is a 60-credit Associate of Applied Science Degree. The program takes approximately two-years of full-time enrollment to complete-- one year of prerequisite courses and one year of physical therapist assistant courses. The admittance process is competitive due to a limited number of positions available for each class. Completion of the the admission requirements does not guarantee admission to the Physical Therapist Assistant full-major program. Some fully qualified applicants may not be accepted. Find out more about How and When to Apply.
For full information about our degree program and student learning outcomes, please review the UAA Catalog.
- Prerequisite Courses
Complete the following program prerequisites with a grade 'C' or better, except for BIOL A111 and BIOL A112 for which 'B' or better grades are required.
- BIOL A111/L Human Anatomy and Physiology I with Laboratory (4 credits)
- BIOL A112/L Human Anatomy and Physiology II with Laboratory (4 credits)
- COMM A111 Fundamentals of Oral Communications OR COMM A235 Small Group Communication OR COMM A237 Interpersonal Communication OR COMM A241 Public Speaking (3 credits)
- WRTG A111 Writing Across Contexts (3 credits)
- MA A101 Medical Terminology (3 credits)
- MA A104 Essentials of Human Disease (3 credits)
- PSY A111 General Psychology OR PSY A150 Lifespan Development (recommended) (3 credits)
- Additional Degree Requirements
The following courses are not required as prerequisite courses but must be completed in order to graduate. If these courses are not completed prior to the graduation, students will be ineligible to graduate, and thus ineligible to work under a temporary license as a PTA, nor take the national exam to become fully licensed as a PTA.
- MATH A105 Intermediate Algebra (3 credits)
- WRTG A211 Writing and the Humanities OR WRTG A212 Writing and the Professions OR WRTG A213 Writing and the Sciences OR WRTG A214 Arguing Across Contexts (3 credits)
- Major Requirements
Upon selection in to the full-major program, students will be required to complete three semesters of physical therapist assistant coursework as detailed below.
Spring Semester (16 credits) Summer Semester (15 credits) Fall Semester (12 credits)
PTA A102 Physical Therapy in Health Care (3)
PTA A105 Tests and Measures (3)
PTA A110 Kinesiology and Biomechanics (3)
PTA A120 Rehabilitation I (3)
PTA A130 Physical Therapy Interventions I (4)
PTA A195 Clinical Practicum I (1)
PTA A210 Therapeutic Exercise (4)
PTA A220 Rehabilitation II (3)
PTA A230 Physical Therapy Interventions II (4)
PTA A250 Neurological Interventions Across the Lifespan (3)
PTA A292 Physical Therapist Assistant Seminar (2)
PTA A295A Clinical Practicum II (5)
PTA A295B Clinical Practicum III (5)
A total of 72 credits is required for the degree.