You are using an outdated browser. Please upgrade your browser to improve your experience.
Admission into the UAA Surgical Technology Program is a two-part process:
- First, apply to the University of Alaska Anchorage as an undergraduate degree-seeking student (associate’s or bachelor’s level)
- Second, apply to the Surgical Technology Program through the department application process as described below.
The Surgical Technology Program accepts fifteen (15) students each year into its full-major program. Admissions into the program is competitive and acceptance into the the university of as a degree-seeking student does not guarantee selection into the full-major program.
- Undergraduate degree-seeking student status at the University of Alaska Anchorage. Students from any major may submit an application so long as they are a undergraduate
degree-seeking student at UAA.
- Complete or be in progress of all prerequisite course requirements. All courses must be complete with a 'C' or better by the start of the the fall semester. Students are strongly encouraged to complete all general degree requirements prior to submitting the program application.
- Cumulative GPA of 2.5 in all prerequisite courses. Although all courses must be completed with a 'C' or better, applicants must complete
prerequisites with a cumulative GPA of 2.5 or above.
- Complete and submit application to the Surgical Technology Program.
Department Application Requirements
2. Complete the required Immunizations. Current UAA students are required to use the UAA Student Health & Counseling Center's online portal. Immunization records from other providers will not be accepted. Applicants will be required to upload a completed immunization record from the UAA Student Health & Counseling Center Online Portal to the Surgical Technology web-based application. Any applicant with a UAA student ID number is eligible to use the immunization tracking services through the UAA Student Health & Counseling Center.
3. Complete required application essay. All applicants are required to submit an essay as part of the application process. Essays will be submitted in a text box in the application. Applicants are encouraged to draft essays in a word processing program and copy and paste the text into the web application.
- Application Essay Requirements
In no more than 1000-1200 words, please address all of the following:
- Describe what experiences influenced you to choose surgical technology as your profession and what keeps you engaged at this point in your career.
- Explain your career goals and how the AAS Surgical Technology degree will help you achieve them.
- Explain why you should be selected as a student in this program.
- Formatting Requirements
Essays must address all questions/topics listed. Applicants should be prepared to submit essay in the text boxes provided on the web application.
5. Complete the AAS Surgical Technology web application. Applicants are strongly encouraged to review the sample application prior to starting the web application. The application takes approximately 10-15 minutes to complete and must be done in one sitting. There is no way to save the application and come back later to complete.
Please note: students can apply throughout the year for a Fall start depending on where they are in the application process. Qualified applicants will be accepted on a rolling basis until the cohort is filled. Upon review of the initial application, a select number of applicants will be invited for an interview. Please contact our department with any additional questions at 907-786-4346 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
6. Interview. Upon review of the initial application, a select number of applicants will be invited for interview. Distance interviews may be available upon request.