To be considered for the ranking, the following BSN program admission requirements
must be completed by the ranking deadline for their site.
Prior to applying, we recommend:
- If you are able, attend a group Information Session at the College of Health Advising.
Call 907-786-1318 for next meeting time and location.
- Meet with a College of Health Advisor to verify course completion, GPA, and to ensure
you are on track to meet required deadlines. Call 907-786-1318 to set up an appointment.
- Admission to UAA, including transcripts from both high school/GED and college, with
transcript evaluations (if any) from Enrollment Services.
- For Current UA Students: UA Students do not need to submit transcripts from UAA, UAF, or UAS.
- For New and Transfer Students: The School of Nursing strongly recommends new students Apply to UA and submit their high school, GED, and/or out of state transcripts to Enrollment Services three
months prior to the School of Nursing deadline to ensure timely and complete processing.
- Maintain a UAA cumulative GPA of 2.0 or higher and a minimum extracted grade point
average (GPA) of 3.0 for courses required for the Bachelor of Science in Nursing (BSN). The extracted GPA will be calculated using grades from all courses required for
the nursing major that have been completed by the ranking deadline.
- School of Nursing (SON) Digital Application on file. Students must submit a new digital
application for each deadline they wish to be considered for.
- Chemistry Prerequisite: High School Chemistry or CHEM A054 or higher, with a grade
of ‘C’ or better.
- A minimum of 26 credit hours of specified prerequisite courses with a minimum grade
of C, which are:
- Enrollment in, or credit for, the following courses at the time of application to
*Either the Reasoning Skills requirement or PSY A150 must be completed at the time
of application to the major. Students must be enrolled in whichever of these requirements
has not yet been completed.
- Students must complete all Pre-Major courses before beginning Nursing clinical coursework.
It is the applicant’s responsibility to remain informed of any changes to the Bachelor of Science in Nursing (BSN) program and to ensure that the items above have been received by the BSN office.
Call prior to the deadline to verify receipt of all required documents.
Completion of the TEAS Pre-Admission Exam is required. This test is an assessment
tool, not a pass/fail test, to evaluate students’ verbal, math, and science ability.
The cost will be determined by the UAA Testing Center. The test takes approximately
2½ hours and will be available by appointment during times determined by the UAA Testing
Remote TEAS Exams are available to students who are unable to physically test at the
University of Alaska Anchorage, Advising and Testing Center. Remote exams are currently
available throughout Alaska with selected proctors and testing centers throughout
the United States. Additional proctor fees may be required for students testing at
distance testing facilities.
The TEAS can be taken once every 6 months and the highest score in the last 36 months
will be used for ranking (starting July 1, 2020). Kaplan exam scores are no longer
Special Note: Please ensure that you use the same name for testing that is listed on UAOnline or
include the exam name under the Previous Name section of the Nursing Application to
The application and TEAS Exam must be completed for an applicant to be eligible for
ranking and possible admission to Semester I Nursing Science Major. Only a specified
number of candidates (with highest rankings) will be invited to start based on the
following ranking criteria:
- Extracted grade point average (60% of ranking score)
- Extracted Science GPA: BIOL A111/L and A112/L (25% of ranking score)
- ATI TEAS Preadmission test scores (15% of ranking score)
- The TEAS can now be taken once every 6 months and the highest score in the last 36
months will be used for ranking.
- Previously completed Kaplan results are no longer accepted.
For transfer students, grades from equivalent courses will be used.
All candidates that apply towards a ranking will be sent an official letter to their
preferred email listed on UAOnline. Candidates will be sent either an invitation to
accept a seat in the program or notice of unsuccessful ranking. Students must submit a new digital application for each deadline they wish to be considered
Each site in the BSN program has a specific admission pattern based on the number
of applicants and available clinical facilities in the location. To be considered
for the ranking in each location, the BSN admission requirements must be completed
by the appropriate deadline. Deadlines are subject to change, please check with the
UAA Nursing Student Services for most up to date deadlines.
Application for Ranking Deadlines
- Anchorage (40 students Fall & Spring)
- Mat-Su (8 students) Fall start date
MARCH 1: Fall start date
- Fairbanks (16 students)
- Kodiak (8 students)
RN to BS Students