BS in Nursing Science
Students pursuing the Bachelor of Science (BS) in Nursing Science are provided both the theory and clinical base to assess, plan, implement, and evaluate health care to meet the needs of individuals, families, groups, and communities. The program is offered through the University of Alaska Anchorage and based in Anchorage, but admits students in Fairbanks and Kodiak. All students who apply to UAA and qualify for admission to the BS Nursing program are admitted as pre-majors.
Please note: Admission as a pre-major does not guarantee admission to the nursing program; a separate application process is required.
Semester IRequired prior to Ranking Deadline.
- WRTG A111 Writing Across Contexts (3)
- COMM A111, A235, A237, or A241 (3)
- BIOL A111, A111L Anatomy & Physiology I (4)
- CHEM A103, A103L Survey of Chemistry (4)
Semester IIRequired prior to Ranking Deadline.
- WRTG A213 Writing and the Sciences (3)
- *PHIL A101, A201, or ENGL A120- Reasoning Skills (3)
- BIOL A112, A112L Anatomy & Physiology II (4)
- CHEM A104, A104L Organic & Biochemistry (4)
- **SOCIAL SCIENCE GER Except PSY (3)
Semester IIIEnrollment in, or credit for, during Ranking.
- BIOL A240, A240L Microbiology (4)
- *PSY A150 Life Span Development (3)
- **FINE ARTS GER (3)
- **HUMANITIES GER(3)
Semester IVRecommended prior to starting NS classes.Required prior to Trimester IV.
- **STAT A200 Elementary Statistics (3)
- **DN A203 Nutrition for Health Sciences (3)
- **PHIL A302 Biomedical Ethics (3)
- **HUMANITIES GER (3)
- **ALASKA NATIVE-THEMED GER
All courses required for the BS in Nursing Science may not be unsuccessfully repeated more than once.
Once you are admitted into the full-major BS Nursing program, you will be required to complete courses in the following sequence. All students are enrolled in a specific local cohort. Students are expected to test, attend classes, labs, and clinical experiences with their cohort. Students are required to complete the program at the location they originally accepted placement.
Plan of Study
TRIMESTER I Nursing Science Major
- NS A204 Technology & Nursing Informatics (3)
- NS A216 Pathophysiology (4)
- NS A300 Foundations: Roles, Processes, Trends (3)
PRIOR to Trimester II
- Current CPR certification
- Health & Immunization Requirements
- National Level Criminal Background Check
TRIMESTER II Nursing Science Major
- NS A303, A303L Foundations: Therapeutics (7.5)
- NS A307, A307L Foundations: Health Assessment (3)
- NS A309 Pharmacology in Nursing (3)
TRIMESTER III Nursing Science Major
- NS A313, A313L Health Disruptions I (6)
- NS A315, A315L Health I: Nursing Therapeutics (6)
TRIMESTER IV Nursing Science Major
- NS A400 Nursing Research (3)
- NS A401, A401L Health Disruptions II (5.5)
- NS A406, A406L Complex Health Disruptions (5)
TRIMESTER V Nursing Science Major
- NS A411, A411L Health Integrative Capstone (5.5)
- NS A415 Nursing Management (4)
- NS A416, A416L Concentration in Clinical Nursing (4)
- *NS Upper Division Nursing Elective (3)
Minimum total credit hours for degree: 120
All nursing major lecture courses must be complete with a grade of 'C' or higher and clinical courses with a 'Pass'.
*The NS Elective may be taken in an earlier trimester if the prerequisites for the elective are met.
Please note: Graduates of this program must perform successfully on the National Council Licensure Examination (NCLEX-RN) to receive RN licensure. SON's program is approved by the Alaska Board of Nursing and the Accrediting Commission for Education in Nursing.
ADMISSION: PROCESS AND CRITERIA
The School of Nursing considers students eligible for admission to the nursing major during the semester in which they are completing the courses listed under semester 3. Only the students who complete the Application and TEAS Exam listed below will be ranked for possible admission to NS A204, A216, & A300 in the trimester indicated by their ranking site. To be considered for the ranking, the following BS admission requirements must be completed by the Ranking Deadline for their site.