A Pre-Admission Examination is required for admission to the undergraduate nursing programs. The Kaplan is required for the Bachelor of Science in Nursing Science and the HESI is required for the Associate of Applied Science.
NEW: The AAS and BS programs are transitioning to the ATI TEAS exam. Students intending to rank in the May or July 1st AAS ranking should still choose to take the HESI test. After the July 1st deadline we will fully transfer to TEAS. Previously completed HESI or Kaplan results can still be used through July 1, 2020 or until they expire, whichever comes first.
NOTICE: Pre-Registration Required. Testing space is limited and fills up quickly near deadlines! Appointments must be scheduled at least 24 hours in advance. Arrangements for accommodated testing may be scheduled by calling or emailing the Testing Center directly at least 48 hours in advance.
The School of Nursing recommends scheduling the exam approximately 1 month in advance to ensure availability.
About the Pre-Admission Exams
- Testing is available at the UAA Testing Center during pre-determined testing hours.
- The exam must be completed no later than the application deadline for the site selected.
- Exams taken after the application deadline will not be accepted until the next ranking period.
- Plan ahead: the Testing Center is closed on weekends and holidays.
- You will be able to access your score report immediately after exam is completed.
- There are no questions that require knowledge about nursing skills on this test.
- This is an assessment test, not a pass/fail test.
- The exams can be taken up to twice per year, but no more frequently than once every
If you are not successful in being admitted to the nursing major, you may have the option of taking the exam again.
For the HESI: the highest score (within the last 36 months) will be used in the ranking.
- For the Kaplan: Only the most recent - NOT the highest - score will be used in the ranking.
Preparing for the exam
- HESI Admission Assessment Exam Review: Fourth Edition, ISBN# 978-0-323-35378-6
Kaplan Nursing School Entrance Exams: Seventh Edition, ISBN# 978-1506207445
- ATI TEAS Study Manual: Sixth Edition Revised, ISBN# 978-1565335752
- Older editions may also be available
Taking the exam
How To Register
- Go to: UAA Testing Center Website
- To schedule an appointment click the Schedule an Appointment link near the bottom of the page
- Follow the directions for scheduling an appointment using the online registration system
- Pay the published exam fee at the time of registration.
- For the ATI TEAS only
For the HESI only
- Go to Evolve to create a user name and password
- Select the HESI Exams Tab
- Select Register for HESI
- Click on REGISTER for this now
- Bring your Evolve Log in/Password on exam day - This is required to take the exam.
- For the TEAS only
- Create a TEAS account
- Select institution: U of AK Anchorage
UAA Testing Center
Remote exams are available to testers who are unable to physically test at the UAA Testing Center. To ensure the integrity of the students' test scores and the security of the exams, ALL testing must be done in a proctored setting. Remote testing may require additional time for scheduling and proctoring fees.