- Conventions of standard English
A Pre-Admission Examination is required for admission to the undergraduate nursing
programs. The AAS and BS programs have transitioned to the ATI TEAS exam starting July 1, 2019.
Previously completed HESI or Kaplan results can still be used through July 1, 2020
or until they expire, whichever comes first.
NOTICE: Pre-Registration Required. Testing space is limited and fills up quickly near deadlines! Appointments must be scheduled at least 24 hours in advance. Arrangements for accommodated testing may be scheduled by calling or emailing the Testing Center directly at least 48 hours in advance.
The School of Nursing recommends scheduling the exam approximately 1 month in advance to ensure availability.
About the Pre-Admission Exams
- Testing is available at the UAA Testing Center during pre-determined testing hours.
- The exam must be completed no later than the application deadline for the site selected.
- Exams taken after the application deadline will not be accepted until the next ranking period.
- Plan ahead: the Testing Center is closed on weekends and holidays.
- You will be able to access your score report immediately after exam is completed.
- There are no questions that require knowledge about nursing skills on this test.
- This is an assessment test, not a pass/fail test.
- The exams can be taken up to twice per year, but no more frequently than once every
- Students that have previously taken either the HESI or Kaplan will need to wait 6 months before taking the TEAS.
For the Associate's: the highest score (within the last 36 months) will be used in the ranking.
- For the Bachelor's: Only the most recent - NOT the highest - score will be used in the ranking.
ATI TEAS (AAS & BS)
The test consists of a pre-test questions and 4 timed section in a multiple-choice format as listed below. Test time is capped at 3 hours: 29 minutes.
English and Language Usage: 28 questions (28 minutes)
- Knowledge of language
- Vocabulary acquisition
Mathematics Section: 36 questions (54 minutes)
- Basic Arithmetic
- Number and algebra
- Measurement and data
Reading Section: 53 questions (64 minutes)
- Key ideas and details
- Craft and structure
- Integration of knowledge & ideas
Science Section: 53 questions (63 minutes)
- Human anatomy & physiology
- Life and physical sciences
- Scientific reasoning
Preparing for the exam
- ATI TEAS Study Manual: Sixth Edition Revised, ISBN# 978-1565335752
- Older editions may also be available
- The TEAS is a nation-wide test, alternate study material may be available through your favorite search engine
Taking the exam
How To Register
- Create a TEAS account
- Select institution: U of AK Anchorage AH
- Go to: UAA Testing Center Website
- To schedule an appointment click the Schedule an Appointment link near the bottom of the page
- Follow the directions for scheduling an appointment using the online registration system
- Pay the published exam fee at the time of registration.
Special Note: Please ensure that you use the same name for this test that is displayed on UAOnline. If the name you used on the exam is different, please include it under the Previous Name section of the Nursing Application to Rank. Most common reasons names don't match: nicknames, a recent name change not in the UA system (maiden/married names), only included a small part of a hyphenated name.
UAA Testing Center
Please plan to arrive at the Testing Center at least 30 minutes early to check-in
Remote exams are available to testers who are unable to physically test at the UAA-Anchorage Testing Center. To ensure the integrity of the students' test scores and the security of the exams, ALL testing must be done in a proctored setting. Remote testing may require additional time for scheduling and proctoring fees.
How do I take the test in Alaska?
- Schedule an appointment with one of the proctors below to take the test in Alaska (Proctors may charge a fee for their services).
- Register and pay for the test at least 48 hours in advance. The appointment date and time that you select through the UAA registration system must be the same date and time scheduled with the proctor listed below.
|Wanda Wahl||Dillingham||Bristol Bayfirstname.lastname@example.org|