The Communication Center provides high-quality tutoring via live GoBoard sessions to support students taking distance or online classes through UAA. Our active hours are 11AM-7PM.
Schedule: Monday - Friday.
Tuesdays, Wednesdays, Thursdays, 11AM-7PM: A coach is standing by to review your requests and schedule appointments. Same-day appointments are only available on these days.
Mondays - Fridays: Appointments must be made in advance.
Note: Any request received after 7 PM is considered received at 11 AM the following day. Requests received after 7 PM on Fridays will be reviewed on the following Monday.
Students wishing to schedule a GoBoard appointment may submit a request through our secure web form. Communication Center coaches will schedule the appointment as close as possible to the student's wishes as possible. Please be as specific as possible so that we can provide you with the most relevant and helpful feedback.
Please keep in mind: our staff will help identify problems and recommend solutions but we do not provide editing services. Instead, we want to empower students to present with clarity and confidence. A communication coach will contact you to schedule your appointment within 24 hours, weekdays only.
- Appointments are 1 hour long, with rare exception.
- Any video you want the coach to review must be uploaded to a streaming service so that the coach may watch it via link. If you do not know how to do this, your coach can help during your session.
- If you do not have access to video/microphone, you can still use GoBoard for chat with a coach via typing.
- No membership is necessary to use GoBoard.
- Shortly before your appointment, you will receive an email with the link to your GoBoard. Once you receive this, you may enter the board at any time.
- If you want the coach to review a document with you, upload it in the survey (including assignment guidelines or rubrics).
- Have any links you want the coach to view with you ready, in order to take advantage
of your time.
Submit a request for an Appointment
December 12th - January 10th
Face-to-Face coaching closed until further notice.
The Communication Center is a learning space for UAA students. The center supports student public speaking activities across all disciplines and for all levels. Students may visit the center to address a wide variety of concerns, including public speaking apprehension, outline support, delivery, visual aids and group presentation support. We strive to ensure students are able to develop their confidence speaking in front of groups, small and large.
Communication Center Coaches
Communication Center coaches are highly trained, capable individuals. All are trained in providing quality support, both for the structure and delivery of a presentation. Our coaches understand that public speaking is often a source of apprehension, they are trained in providing specific support to those that would like to reduce their apprehension and increase their confidence.
Coaches are available to provide aid to students at all stages of their speech, from narrowing the topic, to outlining, to support with delivery. Students are welcome to come into the center at any point in the speech construction process. Particularly with oral presentations, it’s beneficial to recite parts of the speech out loud as it’s being constructed to catch inconsistencies and facilitate a more comfortable delivery come presentation day.