Current Students

Navigating Your Degree (undergoing remodeling; please pardon our dust!)

  • Registration and Coursework
    • Programs of Study
    • Tuition and Fees
    • Register for Courses
    • Continuous Registration Policy
    • DegreeWorks and Your Graduate Studies Plan (GSP)
    • Drop/Add Courses
    • Change Your Major or Emphasis Area
    • Adding a Degree or Certificate
  • Special Requests
    • Graduate Academic Petition
    • Add/Drop Courses
    • Change of Major or Emphasis Area
    • Leave of Absence
    • Reinstatement
    • Academic Dispute Resolution Procedure
  • Thesis or Dissertation
    • Thesis and Dissertation Forms
    • Formatting Requirements
    • Formatting Checklist for programs without a discipline style guide
    • Outside Examiners for Doctoral Defenses
    • ETD Submission Instructions
  • Projects
    • Project Forms
    • Formatting Requirements
    • Formatting Checklist for programs without a discipline style guide
    • Submitting to the UA Institutional Repository (UA Scholarworks)
  • Graduation
    • Meet with your advisor regarding final degree requirements
    • Check your progress in DegreeWorks
    • Apply to graduate
    • RSVP to Commencement and/or the Hooding Ceremony

Staying Connected...

Once admitted to your graduate program, you are automatically subscribed to the Graduate Student Mailing List. Important information from the Graduate School will be emailed to you via this list serve. Upon graduation, your name will automatically roll off. 

Registration and Coursework

Go to UAOnline, the online registration system for the University of Alaska, to register for classes. You can check your registration status, register for classes, and view your student records through this system. 

If you are unsure how to register for classes, please review the Registration Process by the Office of the Registrar.

If your question has not been answered, please contact the Graduate School or your graduate academic advisor.

Continuous Registration 2021 - 2022

Friday, October 22, 2021, is the deadline to register for continuous registration, independent and directed studies, practicum, internships, research, and thesis for all fall 2021 semester.

What? Continuous progress is expected of every graduate student for every semester as appropriate for the graduate program, from admission through graduation, until all requirements for the degree are met. 

Who? Check with your graduate program for their specific requirements. For example, students enrolled in graduate programs offering courses only in summer should be continuously registered for every Summer semester until degree requirements are completed. Students enrolling for Fall and Spring semesters are expected to enroll every fall and spring until requirements are completed.  *Students completing coursework over the summer must register for extended registration; e.g. students completing thesis, project, capstone, or internships from spring semester must register for extended registration credit for summer. 

How? To make Continuous Progress in their graduate program, students have the following options: 

  • Registering for at least one graduate level credit applicable to their graduate degree, or 
  • Paying the continuous registration fee (by registering for Extended Registration CRN) to remain active in the graduate program although not registered for any courses. 

        *(100-300 level courses do not count towards continuous registration; only courses listed on the GSP count.)

When? Students are also expected to register or pay the continuous registration fee for the summer if they use university facilities or consult with faculty during the semester. Student who have completed their coursework must enroll in extended registration until all their degree requirements are met; hence, students who plan to graduate during the summer semester must enroll in extended registration. 

Where? The continuous registration fee may be paid online during each semester's regular or late registration.

What happens if I miss the deadline to enroll? Any graduate student failing to comply with continuous registration will be placed on Academic Probation. If you miss a second semester, your probation will be extended one semester. If you miss a third semester, you will be removed from your program and degree-seeking status. Students have the right to appeal being place on academic probation via Graduate Petition.

 Extended Registration CRNs Fall 2021 Spring 2022 Summer 2022
College of Business & Public Policy A699 71383 TBA TBA
 College of Arts & Sciences A699 71384 TBA TBA
 College of Health A699 71385 TBA TBA
 College of Engineering  A699 71387


       Project Management  A699 71386 TBA TBA
How to find the appropriate Extended Registration CRN in the class schedule:
1. Log on to UA online.       
2. Go to "Student Services and Account Information."      
3. From there, click "Registration," then "Class Schedule Search."       
4. On this page, select the following options:   
a. Search by term: as applicable   
b. Campus: UAA: all campuses   
c. Keyword search: type "extended." 

Or, check the above table.

Academic Dispute Resolution Procedure

Challenges to academic decisions or actions of the faculty or academic administration will be reviewed according to the procedure that implements the UA Board of Regents Policy 09.03.024 and its University Regulation on Student Dispute Resolution: Review of Academic Decisions or Actions. Appropriate issues for this procedure include such things as alleged grading error or arbitrary or capricious assignment of final grades or dismissal from or denial of admission to an academic program based upon academic considerations.  Academic decisions based on alleged violations of the Student Code of Conduct will not be reviewed under this procedure until the Student Conduct Review Procedures are exhausted.  Academic decisions allegedly based on discrimination will not be reviewed under this procedure until the completion of the appropriate university investigation.