Graduate Assistant Health Insurance
United Healthcare Health Insurance Coverage
Graduate students employed as Research Assistants, Teaching Assistants, Service Assistants, or have Fellowships (GA's) are eligible for health insurance paid for by the college in which the student is employed or the funding agency. Insurance is a mandatory benefit and provided on a semester by semester basis (WWAMI enrollment excluded). Enrollment is not automatic. Graduate students must provide the Graduate School with a copy of their signed contract letter and submit the online enrollment form (or see FORMS page) to finalize their enrollment process. Once the semester of your contract has passed, there will be no retro-active enrollments. You will be responsible for all fees incurred due to not enrolling in a timely manner.
For GA's having prior coverage (spousal, partner, parental, etc.), the University of Alaska Anchorage assistantship benefit is an excess policy; it is always secondary and can help towards copays and deductibles. However, if GA's have Medicaid or Tricare (Military Policy), the GA policy is the primary benefit policy and Medicaid and Tricare are secondary benefit policies.
Note: the GA health insurance plan does NOT have a dental component. Dental coverage in the plan only covers 1) dental injury to a sound tooth, or 2) removal of impacted wisdom teeth. For teeth cleaning, x-rays, and fillings, please alternate arrangements. If you have tooth pain, go to your local dentist sooner than later.
- Do you want to enroll a spouse or other dependents? Dependents may be added to the policy after student enrollment is confirmed. Due to COVID-19, a paper form is no longer used. Please contact United Healthcare Customer Service at 1-866-141-1958/TTY 711 for general information and to enroll dependents in the graduate health insurance plan.
- Are you traveling? Check out your Global Emergency Services benefits (outlined in the Summary Brochure above) before traveling.
Graduate Assistant/Fellows 2020-2021 Plan Coverage Dates:
- Fall Semester - August 25, 2020 to January 4, 2021
- Spring Semester -January 5, 2021 to May 16, 2021
- Spring/Summer - January 5, 2021 to August 24, 2021
- Summer Semester - May 17, 2021 to August 24, 2021
- Annual Coverage: August 25, 2020 to August 24, 2021 (RA's and Fellows only)
Initiating United Healthcare Coverage*
Annual or Fall 2021 semester health insurance enrollment deadline is Friday, September 4, 2020 at 5:00 pm.
- The Graduate School must a copy of your signed contact letter (email to Elisa Mattison) as soon as possible.
- Complete the Health Insurance Enrollment form.
- Look for emails from the UAA Graduate School to confirm your enrollment submission has been processed by United Healthcare Student Resources. Once you have received your email, then...
- Create an online account through United Healthcare to initiate your benefits.
- Contact the Graduate School if you encounter any issues with coverage*.
*Students awarded a graduate assistantship or fellowship must follow each step every semester for which they are awarded an assistantship or fellowship unless awarded annually or for spring/summer. Failure to do so will result in delayed coverage and late processing of your tuition remission payment. Failure to enroll is not an excuse for lack of coverage. Reminder: once the semester of your contract has passed, there will be no retro-active enrollments. You will be responsible for all fees incurred due to not enrolling in a timely manner.
If students are unable to complete their enrollment each semester, they must contact Elisa Mattison as soon as possible.
If you have problems with your coverage, please contact Elisa Mattison with questions.