Project Defense Calendar:
At this time there are no upcoming project defenses in English. Please check back or see other programs for their scheduled defenses.
- Geological Sciences
At this time there are no upcoming project defenses in Geological Sciences. Please check back or see other programs fo their their scheduled defenses.
- Dietetics & Nutrition
At this time there are no upcoming project defenses in Dietetics and Nutrition. Please check back or see other programs fo their their scheduled defenses.
- Nursing Science
At this time, there are no upcoming project defenses in Nursing Science. Please check back later or see other programs for their scheduled defenses.
- Public Health Practice
At this time, there are no upcoming project defenses in Public Health Practice. Please check back later or see other programs for their scheduled defenses.
- Project Management
At this time there are no upcoming project defenses in Project Management. Please check back or see other programs fo their their scheduled defenses.
- Civil Engineering
At this time there are no upcoming project defenses in Civil Engineering. Please check back or see other programs fo their their scheduled defenses.
- Mechanical EngineeringAt this time there are no upcoming project defenses in Mechanical Engineering. Please check back or see other programs fo their their scheduled defenses.
- Interdisciplinary StudiesAt this time there are no upcoming project defenses in Interdisciplinary Studies. Please check back or see other programs fo their their scheduled defenses.
Graduate Student Project Research
All graduate students planning on completing a project to meet degree requirements are required to complete the Project Topic and Research Compliance Form (RCIP) along with their Committee Form. FYI, some graduate students are planning research that will lead to intellectual property with commercial potential which is covered under the RCIP Form. At the same time, all graduate students are expected to respect the copyright, license and intellectual property rights that may attach to files of any media type, including software, texts, databases, images, video, music and other audio files, especially when using university computing and/or networking resources. For further information, contact the UAA Research Compliance Office or the associate vice provost for Research Administration and Commercialization.
- Documents Required: Project Topic and Research Compliance Form
Defense of Project
Graduate students completing a project in fulfillment of degree requirements may be required to pass an oral defense of the project. Defense dates must be submitted to the Graduate School and publicly posted one week before the defense. The defense will consist of a presentation followed by questions on the research, analysis and written project presentation. All committee members must be present at the project defense. A Report on Project Defense must be submitted to the Graduate School indicating date of completion, and approved by the graduate advisor and committee, program chair, college dean, and the Graduate School.
- Document Required: Report of Project Defense
Before final acceptance, all members of a student’s graduate committee, department/program chair, and the college dean, must approve the project as required by the student’s graduate program. Changes or corrections to the project may be required at any of these levels. The graduate committee is primarily responsible for project evaluation, grammar, punctuation, usage, and formatting, but the department chair/director, and college dean may also conduct reviews to monitor the quality of projects and check for any overlooked errors. The college dean may not give final approval until all required corrections are made. Students should check with their programs for their specific required formatting. Ideally, formatting checks should be made before the defense of the project. A copy of the signed and completed Project Approval Form is forwarded to the Graduate School. Once received, the Project requirement in Banner and the student’s DegreeWorks Graduate Studies Plan (GSP) will be noted as having a been met to partially meet degree requirements. Note: your college dean is the final approver of your project.
- Document Required: Project Approval Form
Formatting Your Project
- New for Spring 2021: All projects must comply with the formatting guidelines of your discipline. Please work with your committee chair. If your program does NOT have an established journal or professional guideline, then students may use the 2020-2021 Thesis Formatting Handbook.
- Please consult with your program regarding specific formatting requirements.
- Project Formatting Checklist (guidelines only; follow your program's style guide for diviations)
- All project cover pages must comply with the template below. The example below is a template and not to be used as the actual page.
- All Project Title Pages must be approved by the Graduate School by the following deadlines:
Fall Graduation: December 1 (no extensions permitted)
Spring Graduation: April 10
Summer Graduation: July 10
When the deadline falls on a Saturday or Sunday, the deadline moves accordingly:
- Fall semester - the preceding Friday
- Spring semester - the subsequent Monday
- Summer semester - the subsequent Monday
Project Submission Deadlines
Consult your program and College dean for imposed deadlines. All project approval-related documents must be submitted to the Graduate School no later than the semester date that final grades are due.
Projects are published in the University of Alaska Institutional Repository (IR). Embargoes for proprietary information may be requested on the Project Approval Form. Programs are responsible for forwarding the project and the Project Approval Form to the Metadata Services Librarian.
- Document Required: Project Approval Form
Archived Graduate Projects
Are you interested in seeing graduate projects that have already been published in the University Institutional Repository known as UA Scholarworks? Go to Scholarworks@UA. In Communities, click on University of Alaska Anchorage, then scroll down to Graduate School. Find the search box that says "search within this community and it's collections". Searches conducted using that box will only search within the graduate school community (primarily graduate projects).