Graduate Faculty Advisors

  1. All Graduate Faculty Advisors (and UAA Faculty Committee Members) must request official designation as a Graduate Academic Advisor
  2. All faculty advisors must be FERPA Certified on an annual basis.
  3. To remain current, FERPA training must be completed within last year. The Registrar doesn't need to see the certificate; it can now be checked in Banner when completed.
  4. To be recognized as a graduate advisor,  the Office of the Registrar needs an email from dean or designee requesting access and reason for access. The request can be sent to UAA Degree Services.  

Mentoring Graduate Students

The Council of Graduate Schools offers several publications to assist graduate faculty mentors. Topics include: 

  • Research Student and Supervisor
  • Best Practices in Graduate Education for the Responsible Conduct of Research 
  • Setting Expectations and Resolving Conflicts in Graduate Education 
  • On the Right Track: A Manual for Research Mentors

Graduate programs might be interested in:

  • An Essential Guide to Graduate Admissions

The Graduate School has free copies on site (while they last) for any faculty mentor wishing to obtain booklets.

You may also visit the Council of Graduate Schools (CGS) to access additional materials. Faculty, administrators, and or staff members of a CGS institution member can create an account to view the publications. 

Purchase copies at the  Online Store.