Graduate Student Checklist
Ask the Graduate School
The Graduate School is an on-going resource for all graduate students. Our web pages provide students with important information on the different graduate degree programs, graduate policies, resources available, deadlines, and thesis/dissertation/project research information. We are available for any questions that you may have - just ask!
Resources to Help Pay for Your Graduate Education
The Office of Financial Aid participates in Federal programs. For graduate students, these are the Federal Work Study, William D. Ford Direct Loan Program, Federal Pell Grant (only for students in post-baccalaureate teacher certification program). In addition we participate in the State of Alaska Supplemental Education Loan (ASEL, formerly Alaska State Student Loan) program. UAA also has a large number of scholarships and tuition waivers each having unique eligibility requirements.
It is important to request financial aid as soon as possible (the process can take up to 8 weeks). You will not receive financial aid unless you are admitted to a graduate degree program.
- Check with the Office of Financial Aid.
- Complete the FAFSA (Free Application for Federal Student Aid) form on-line
- Check out scholarships here
- Major-Specific Scholarships - See what funding sources are available to you at UAA to obtain your Master's or
- College of Health
- College of Arts and Sciences
- College of Business and Public Policy Scholarships. Also see the Financial Aid page on CBPP Scholarships.
- College of Education Scholarships
- College of Engineering Scholarships
- College of Health
Pay for Classes
Pay on time so that you are not dropped from your classes. The payment deadline for each semester and payment options are posted by the Office of the Registrar under Academic Dates and Deadlines. If you have questions about your account call (907) 786-1458. To pay online, visit UAOnline.
Students taking 9 or more credits wishing to live on campus are encouraged to apply early as spaces fill up quickly.
- Current rates and applications are available on-line.
- Contact UAA Housing at (907) 751-7200 for more information.
Off Campus Housing: (The UAA Graduate School is not affiliated nor endorses with any off-campus housing resource. The links below are informational only. Students use the resources listed at their own discretion and risk.)
Make Sure You Know Your UAA Student ID, Username/Password and UAA Email Address
- To find out your username go to the Information Technology Services website and use the available contact options for support.
- To access your UAA e-mail account, login to Google. This account can be used for personal and school related business; UAA will only use this address to inform you of any university wide news (i.e. closures, etc.). It is important to know that you are responsible for communication sent to your e-mail account by the university. If you have a personal address that you prefer, please forward your UAA e-mail.
See Your Graduate Program Advisor
Contact your graduate program adviser to set up an appointment prior to registering for classes. The adviser will assist you in selecting the appropriate course schedule leading toward satisfying your degree requirement. The adviser's contact information is listed in your letter of acceptance. Work on completing an initial Graduate Studies Plan (GSP) in Degree Works so you can track your progress.
Now Register For Classes
Registering for classes is now done on-line. No more standing in the long registration lines that used to take hours of your time. Now you can register from the comfort of your own home in your jammies and slippers. Go to UAOnline to register for coursework after you have met with your advisor.
Attend New Student Orientation
- Attend your program's new student orientation. Check with your advisor or program administrative assistant for time and date.
- Attend Howl Days before the Fall semester to familiarize yourself with university services
- Review the Online Graduate School Orientation (coming soon).
Buy Your Textbooks
Textbooks become available generally one to two weeks before classes begin. The UAA Bookstore's regular hours are Monday-Thursday 8:30 a.m. - 7 p.m. and Friday 8:30 a.m.- 6 p.m. You can also reserve your textbooks online. You can call the UAA Bookstore at 786-1151 during business hours for personal assistance
Get a Parking Permit
If you plan to drive a vehicle to the University, you will need a Parking permit. Parking permits can be purchased online at The Permit Store. For more information, please visit the Parking Services webpage, email Parking Services or phone them at (907) 786-1119.
Get a Wolfcard
Your WolfCard is your official UAA identification card. The initial card is free to current students and gives you access to many campus facilities and services. This ID card also serves as a debit card (Wolfbucks) that can be spent at any machine or dining location which accepts the card on campus. The WolfCard Office is located in the University Center, call 786-HOWL for more information or check out the Wolfcard website. You can get your Wolfcard (current semester students and current staff/faculty) at either the University Center (UC) Office in UC109, or the Consortium Library Main Circulation desk.
Online resources are available to assist you in finding out your blackboard login.
Online classes are available through the web via Blackboard. Students will find out from their instructor whether the course will use Blackboard. Students might use Blackboard to download materials, upload assignments, collaborate with others, take tests, and view grades.
Read the University Catalog
The online version of the catalog is the best way to access information on anything related to Graduate programs and polices. Make sure you read the sections on Graduate General University Requirements, Graduate Degree Policies, and Academic Standards and Policies.
Update Your Address so We Can Find You!
Once you arrive at UAA, it is important to update your address with the university so that you can receive important notices, etc. To update your address and/or phone number:
- Go to UA Online, click on "personal information," click on "update address & phone,"
Update the information and submit. You may have different addresses for mailing and billing.