You are using an outdated browser. Please upgrade your browser to improve your experience.
Barry Goldwater Scholarship
Visit https://goldwaterscholarship.gov/ for further details.
Online application availability: Early September
Campus deadline: Late December - early January. Candidates may not apply directly
National deadline: Late January
Notification of winning candidates: End of March
The most prestigious undergraduate scholarship in the natural sciences, mathematics, and engineering in America!
The central objective of the Barry Goldwater Scholarship and Excellence in Education Foundation is identifying and supporting a significant pool of highly-qualified undergraduates who will be obtaining advanced degrees and becoming leading scientists, engineers, and mathematicians. Barry Goldwater Scholarships are awarded to outstanding undergraduates who plan to pursue a research career.
Information for Applicants
Applicants must be:
- sophomores or juniors who are currently enrolled in university classes
- US citizens or permanent residents
- studying natural sciences, mathematics, or engineering
- students with a 3.00 GPA or higher
Who cannot apply:
- students who have already completed an undergraduate degree
- students who are not currently enrolled in university classes
- international students
For more information about eligibility requirements, visit https://goldwaterscholarship.gov/.
- Additional Requirements
A UAA Institutional Endorsement is required. The Goldwater Scholarship Campus Interview Committee will evaluate the overall merits of the candidate and the application material submitted and will make a decision of endorsement or non-endorsement at the end of the campus interview.
You must meet with an advisor to discuss your intent to apply. Contact Dr. Claudia Lampman at email@example.com or 907-786-161 for information about advising for this scholarship.
Campus interview: Yes
National interview: No
- Award Benefits
Up to $7,500 per year for tuition, fees, books, and room and board.
Award cannot be deferred or renewed.
- Candidate Profile
- has an excellent academic record
- demonstrates interest in research careers in mathematics, the natural sciences, or engineering
- demonstrates potential in one of these fields
Applicants should make a compelling case that they intend to and will actually pursue a research career. Extensive undergraduate research experience, publications, a long list of challenging coursework, an ambitious research program, and graduate school plans are necessary to be able to craft a competitive application for the Goldwater Scholarship.
- Application Procedure
- Find a faculty member willing to serve as your mentor throughout the application process.
- Notify the Goldwater Scholarship Campus Representative of your intent to apply the semester before you plan to apply for the award. (Contact Dr. Claudia Lampman at firstname.lastname@example.org or 907-786-161 for information about the campus representative for this scholarship.)
- Schedule an advising appointment with the Goldwater Scholarship Campus Representative to discuss internal processes and timelines.
- Start completing the application once the Goldwater Scholarship Campus Representative registers you with the Goldwater Scholarship Foundation.
- Three letters of recommendation are required. Select three instructors from whom you have taken upper-division courses in your discipline or have supervised your research/lab experiences to write letters of recommendation on your behalf. Choose instructors who are familiar with your undergraduate research experience and graduate school plans, and who can comment in great detail on your academic merit, your researching potential, and your post-Goldwater plans. Tips for recommenders are available at https://goldwaterscholarship.gov/.
- Start developing your research essay early. This is one of the most challenging and critical components of the application.
- Submit complete application online, including all letters of recommendation, by the campus deadline. Incomplete applications will not be accepted.
- Prepare for the individual campus interview, which will take place 1-2 weeks after the campus deadline. The Goldwater Scholarship Campus Interview Committee will evaluate the overall merits of the candidate and the application material submitted and will make a decision of endorsement or non-endorsement at the end of the campus interview. The decision of the Goldwater Scholarship Campus Interview Committee is definitive. If you are endorsed by the committee, an institutional endorsement will be formally submitted by the Goldwater Scholarship Campus Representative to the Goldwater Scholarship Foundation.
About 22% of students who apply receive a scholarship.
The Goldwater Scholarship Campus Representative is the advisor for this scholarship.
Please contact Dr. Claudia Lampman at email@example.com or 907-786-1619 for information about advising.