UAA Campus is Open
We are pleased to report the UAA Anchorage campus will open on Wednesday, Dec. 5, following last Friday's earthquake. The Chugiak-Eagle River Campus will remain closed, but classes will resume in alternative locations. Students should check UAOnline for their new meeting location. As you return to campus, we encourage you to check the web page uaa.alaska.edu/earthquakerecovery for important safety tips and resources about how to submit work requests to facilities for repairs. Please continue to check our Facebook and Twitter accounts for updates.
National Distance Learning Week
National Distance Learning Week
November 5-9, 2018
- using discussion boards to engage online students
- how to offer individual support in an online environment
- how to institute student feedback programs to inform performance standards
- explore tools to improve communication and workflow in online course development
- using reflective and collaborative practices to maximize mentoring skills
In celebration of National Distance Learning Week, OLC invites you to explore these
resources that will help sharpen your skills and knowledge, as well as give you some
great tools to help enhance digital teaching and learning.
As a member institution you have access to the free member resources provided by the OLC.
Quality Matters is also offering a free webinar in celebration of NDLW on November 5, 1:00 pm to 2:00 pm( Eastern).
Technology vs. Innovation: Strategies to Build an Engaging Online Course
Presented by: Jill Jordan, Mary Chaaban & Julie Allen from Arizona State University
Most learners today are fast-paced, visually-stimulated, and seeking experiences relevant to their lives. This presentation will offer strategies to make your courses more engaging through multiple modalities. We'll present a multi-developer perspective to show how designers, instructors, and media technologists can contribute to course enhancements.
Additional Distance Education Resources:
- Free training webinars for Blackboard faculty and course design clients (access to live and recorded webinars)
- Presented 2x/month
- Taught by Blackboard users and experts
- Topics include best practices, top strategies, and pedagogy for increasing educator efficiency and improving learning outcomes
For additional Blackboard assistance, visit AI&e's Instructor Resources page.
VoiceThread is an interactive visual collaboration and sharing tool and is integrated into Blackboard
at UAA. To learn more about VoiceThread visit the following links:
For assistance with accessibility see our Tutorials and How To Video page
- 6,000,000+ students are now enrolled in higher education distance courses.
- 30% of all students in higher education are now taking at least one distance course.
- Most distance learners attend public institutions. Most distance learners in private institutions attend not-for-profits.
- Distance learners are split almost evenly between students who are
exclusively “distance” and those who take some courses in person.
- Public and private not-for-profit institutions have grown their distance learning enrollments (as for-profit enrollments slipped).
- The majority of “exclusively distance” students live in the same state as their institution, but a surprising 42 % are studying at out-of-state institutions.
- Graduate students are twice as likely to take all courses at a distance. More than one-third of graduate students study at least in part via distance (vs. 29% for undergraduates).