CCEL is guided by an Advisory Council consisting of faculty, staff, students, and members of the community. We work together to develop partnerships that connect academic programs with community service and forge linkages between theory and practice, between knowledge and action, and between the university’s academic resources and the community’s development.
- Faculty and staff across the UAA Campus act as ambassadors for community engagement and as resources to connect academic interests, student learning goals, and broader university initiatives to the work of the Center.
- Community organizations and community members bring local knowledge and expertise, linking community needs with projects, faculty and students.
Student representatives bring a unique perspective, energy and ideas to the mix as we create and learn together.
The Advisory Council meets twice each semester to brainstorm, develop resources, cross-pollinate projects, exchange information, and take our work together to the next level. Our commitment to collaboration is to encourage innovative, practical, and action-oriented approaches to improve Alaskan communities. The Advisory Council guides CCEL:
- as a clearinghouse for faculty interested in community-based, service learning pedagogy and research;
- as a front door to the university for community leaders with project ideas;
- as a catalyst for students seeking engagement or relevant learning experiences beyond the traditional classroom; and
- as a promoter and generator of participatory action research to help meet the applied research needs of our communities.
2018-19 CCEL Advisory Council Roster:
Heather Davis, Dennis Drinka, Darrel Hess, Holly Kent, Panu Lucifer, Polly Smith,
Paul Clark, Colleen Bickford, Cassandra Stalzer, Donna Aguiniga, Sally Carraher, Clare
Dannenberg, Gabe Garcia
The Advisory Council will meet on:
- Friday, September 10, 2018, 2:30-4:00 p.m. in Dresser Conference Room, Alaska Airlines Center
- Friday, November 5, 2018, 2:30-4:00 p.m. in Dresser Conference Room, Alaska Airlines Center
- Friday, February 01, 2019, 2:30-4:00 p.m. in UAA LIB 302A.