Technique - Basic Self Defense
A few simple steps you can take to prepare yourself in advance.
Know Your Resources
- Familiarize yourself with your university’s student code of conduct and cite it on your syllabus.
- Find out who to turn to on your campus for emergencies, threat assessment, and support.
- Keep emergency phone numbers handy.
Use Your Resources
- Address disruptive behaviors immediately, and call for help whenever necessary. The sooner the behaviors are addressed, the greater the likelihood for a solution that works for the student, the faculty member, and the university.
Practice Situational Awareness
- Carry a cell phone or know where the nearest emergency phone is located.
- If you meet with a disruptive student outside of class, stay in public places and ask a colleague to join you.
- Pay attention to details and make notes immediately after all disruptive incidents.