Technique - Code of Conduct
A basic technique that asks students to establish their own expectations for classroom behavior.
- Divide the larger group into smaller sub-groups of three to five individuals.
- Ask them to make a short list of desirable and undesirable classroom behaviors.
- Give the groups about five minutes to make their lists. Bring everyone back together, and then invite the groups to share their lists.
- Combine similar items to create a list in each category that the class can agree on.
- Save these and display or refer to them regularly throughout the semester.
- Using a similar process, have the class develop sanctions for violations of the rules.
- Be prepared to negotiate on this; they may recommend harsher penalties than you want to enforce!