Technique - Role Playing
This exercise creates a practice space for trying out alternate potential endings to classroom incidents.
- Choose an incident that happened to one of you or define a scenario that is substantially similar to something several of you have experienced.
- Specify how many players are involved.
- The faculty member who has experienced the situation acts as director, with others taking the roles of faculty member, students, or other necessary players in the scene.
- On the first run-through, try to act the scene exactly as it happened — unsatisfactory ending and all.
- Then do it again, but this time, the player acting as faculty member can improvise a different response and see how that plays out.
- Repeat several times, with other players stepping into the roles and improvising alternate endings.
- After the last run-through, engage in a group critique of the various strategies and outcomes.