Technique - Silence
A technique that encourages reflection and allows discussion participants to plan their responses.
- Allow silence to exist without filling it yourself or panicking.
- Introduce a minute of silence now and then during lectures or discussions to allow everyone—yourself included—to mull things over and plan their next response.
- Answer your own questions too quickly.
- Mistake silence for “dead air” or disengagement. Discussions are not performances, and the most talkative are not the only ones with ideas.
- Assume that those who speak more are learning more.