University of Alaska Anchorage
Why First Year Advising?
How great is it to have a team of people cheering you on? That is what you will get with First Year Advising. We are your biggest cheerleaders and we want you to succeed as a Seawolf! First Year Advisors will not just work with you to register for classes, but they will also help you find answers to your UAA questions, connect you to resources that will support you academically, emotionally, physically, and socially, and be a listening ear on those stressful days.
Read the Green and Gold story to find out more about First Year Advising.
Our Top Priority:
Our top priority is you and your success. You are the reason we are here, and we want you to feel welcome, connected, and prepared.
- Welcome: We want to personally welcome you to UAA. We are delighted you are now a Seawolf!
- Connect: It is important to feel connected to campus. We will introduce you to student support resources, faculty mentors, campus events, and other students.
- Prepare: We want you to start college on the right track by building a strong academic foundation. In your first 30 credits, you will complete your first milestones in math, writing, and communication courses. You will may also take introductory courses within your chosen academic pathway.
How it Works
How do I know who my advisor is?
The First Year Advisors (FYAs) are here to welcome you to campus and connect you to student success and support resources. If you have not been contacted by an advisor or do not know who your advisor is, give us a call or send us an email. We would love to hear from you!
Beginning in Fall 2019, first-time degree seeking students will be assigned an FYA who will prepare them for success by helping them register for their foundational, first year courses.
How will we help you?
It is important to start college on the right path, but starting something new can be a bit overwhelming. There are so many things to think about, and the checklist of tasks can seem long and complicated. That is where we come in! Your First Year Advisor wants to help make the process clear, friendly, and exciting. You are taking a big step towards your academic goals, and we want you to succeed! We will work with you to make your first year at UAA, and every year that builds upon it, as successful and productive as possible.
Where are we located?
Professional Studies Building (PSB) 206
- Aug 26th - Classes Begin, and start of Add/Drop
- Sept 2nd - Labor Day, no classes
- Sept 3rd - Faculty approval required to add classes
- Sept 6th - End of Add/Drop
- Sept 7th - Withdrawal period begins
- Sept 16th - Payment Deadline, $125 late-fee incurred after 5pm
- Oct 28th - Spring 2020 schedule viewable in UAOnline
- Nov 1st - Withdrawal deadline
- Nov 4th - $175 late fee assessed to those w/ outstanding balance
- Nov 8th - Priority registration begins
- Nov 27th - No classess, campus open
- Nov 28th - Dec 1st - Campus closed, Thanksgiving Holiday
- Dec 9th - 14th - Final Exams
- Dec 19th - Grades available on UAOnline
- Dec 24th - Jan 1st - Campus closed, winter break