School of Education
University Lake Building 107A
- University of Arizona, Tucson, AZ PhD Teaching and Teacher Education/Language, Reading, & Culture, (Dec., 2002)
- MA Teaching and Teacher Education/Language, Reading, & Culture, (May, 1996)
- California State University, Chico, CA K-12 Multiple Subject, Self-contained Teaching Credential, (June, 1991)
- BA Child Development, (May, 1990)
- Leadership Certificates 2013
- American Association of Colleges for Teacher Education Leadership Academy, Pittsburg, 2011
- Higher Education Resource Services (HERS) -Summer Institute for Women in Higher Education Administration, Denver, CO.
- Certification AZ K-8 Teaching Certificate
- WA Multiple Subject Teaching Certificate
- CA K-12 Multiple Subject, Self-contained Teaching Credential
BiographyI eagerly joined the UAA Early Childhood Program faculty in January 2003. I came with 17 years of early childhood teaching experience from infant/toddler/preschool classrooms (4 years), public Pre-K (10 years) elementary grades (3 years). My past research foci have been in early literacy development, collaborative practices between families and schools, emergent curriculum development, documentation and authentic assessment, and social constructivist learning theories inspired by Reggio Emilia practices. I am currently working on projects related to 21st Century Teaching pedagogies including Northern Journeys to support teachers to teach in and through the arts and culture and authentic assessment practices using ePortfolios to make learning visible. In my free time, I love to read (novels), hike around Alaska, crochet, play cribbage, walk my dogs and spend time with my family at my cabin in Willow.
EDEC A106 Creativity and Arts
EDEC A241 Infant and Toddler Development
EDEC A242 Family and Community Partnerships
EDEC A292 Early Childhood Practicum Seminar
EDEC A295 Early Childhood Practicum
EDEC A408 Children’s Literature: The Early Childhood Years
I am currently working on projects related to 21st Century Teaching pedagogies including: and the Northern Journeys Project – An arts-rich and culturally responsive teaching curriculum.
PublicationsSeitz, H (2018). Power of Documentation in Bohart, H. Spotlight on young children: Observation and assessment. Washington, DC: National Association for the Education of Young Children.
Seitz, H. (2018, March). Integrating the Arts and Culture in the Early Childhood Curriculum Using 21st Century Pedagogies. In Society for Information Technology & Teacher Education International Conference (pp. 1220-1224). Association for the Advancement of Computing in Education (AACE).
Seitz, HJ, (2017). Ask the Expert. Alaska Parent (April 2017). http://www.alaskaparent.com/_pages/ask_the_expert/middle.html#disc
Seitz, H.J., Mindi Vogel & Jenna Baldiviez, (2017). The Alaskan journEy Portfolio. SITE Proceedings.
Seitz, H.J., Kerry Reardon, & Meghan Johnson, (2015). Standards for Alaska’s early care and learning professions: Core knowledge and competencies. Alaska’s Professional Development Plan for the early Care and Education Workforce, System for Early Education and Development: Collaborative team Member/writer, 2015
Seitz, H. J. & Carol Bartholomew, (2014). Reading together: Primary grade children connect with preschoolers. Young Children, 69(1) 22-28. Alaska’s Professional Development Plan for the early Care and Education Workforce, System for Early Education and Development: Collaborative team Member/writer – annual report (2008- 2012)
Seitz, H.J. & Robert Capuozzo. (2011). Alaska Imagination Library Statewide Evaluation project.
*Seitz, H. J. (2011). The power of documentation in K. M. Paciorek eds., Annual Editions: Early Childhood 31st Edition pp.170-175. Dubuque, IA: McGraw Hill.
Seitz, H. J. (2010). The plan: Building on children interests in K. M. Paciorek eds., Annual Editions: Early Childhood 31st Edition pp.187-193. Dubuque, IA: McGraw Hill. Abbigale hears in color. (2011): http://www.litsite.org/index.cfm?section=Family-and-Community&page=Family-Features&viewpost=2&ContentId=3257
Seitz, H.J. & Robert Capouzzo. (2010). Alaska Imagination Library Statewide Evaluation project.
Seitz, H. J. (2010). The plan: Building on children interests in K. M. Paciorek eds., Annual Editions: Early Childhood 31st Edition pp.187-193. Dubuque, IA: McGraw Hill.
Seitz, H.J. (2009). The power of documentation staff development guide and teaching module. In Teaching Young Children 2(5). Seitz, H. J. & Bartholomew, C. (2008). Powerful portfolios for young children. Early Childhood Education Journal, 36: 63-68.
Seitz, H. J. (2008). The power of documentation. Young Children. 63(2) 88-93.
Seitz, H. J. (2007). Family gatherings: An innovative way to build meaningful partnerships with families. ChildCare Information Exchange, July/August: 28-32. Seitz, H. J. (2006). The plan: Building on children interests. Young Children. 61(2). 36-41.
Seitz, H.J. (2005). Community engagement project for preservice early childhood students. Journal of Early Childhood Teacher Education, 26:297-304.
2019 UAA Chancellor’s Award for Excellence in Community Engagement
2013 Leadership Award, College of Education, University of Alaska
2013 Making a Difference Award, College of Education, University of Alaska
2011 Leadership Award, College of Education
2011 Commitment to the College of Education, UAA, for contributions to the Professional Doctorate in Education degree
2010 Commitment to Community Engagement Award, College of Education, UAA
2008 Intellectual Vitality Award, College of Education UAA
2007 Outstanding Volunteer Award for Anchorage School District
Career History/Work ExperienceDepartment of Teaching and Learning: Early Childhood • Tripartite Position (Teaching, Service, & Research • Full Professor, August 2016
• College of Education, Associate Dean of Academic Affairs, Student Affairs, and Research, January, 2012- July 2016
• Department of Teaching and Learning: Early Childhood • Tripartite Position (Teaching, Service, & Research)
• Early Childhood Programs Coordinator (four EC programs) 2007-2012 • Full Professor, May 2013
• Associate Professor, 2008-2013
• Assistant Professor, Jan., 2002-May, 2008
Tucson Unified School District, Tucson, AZ, Aug.1994-Dec. 2001
• Pre-K Teacher/parent educator – Parent and Child in Education (PACE)
• Title One teacher – Erickson Elementary School Community Action Center, Pullman, WA, 1992-1994
• Kindergarten Teacher for children “at-risk” • Professional Development coordinator Oakland Unified School District, Oakland, CA, 1991-1992
• Title One reading teacher 1st-6th grade
• Lakeview Elementary
• Girl Scout Leader 4/5th grade Preschool Teacher, Bay Area, CA 1986-1991
• Syntex Early Learning Center (corporate childcare)
• Winnie the Pooh