This morning, our Facilities and Campus Services team was made aware of a pothole that shut down the westbound lanes of Northern Lights Boulevard between UAA Drive and Career Center Drive. It has since been upgraded to a sinkhole, and the lanes will remain closed for an undetermined amount of time while crews repair the damage. We anticipate the closure will extend through the week.
Finals week is a very stressful time for students. Students, please know that your professors have been made aware of the situation. Please communicate with them any delays you may experience due to this issue. We know this is an unexpected traffic challenge. Please take a deep breath. We want you to have a smooth and safe finals week.
Initial Licensure Program Information
The School of Education received notification on Friday, January 11, 2019 that the Council for the Accreditation of Education Preparation (CAEP) revoked accreditation of initial licensure programs at the School of Education at UAA.
Initial licensure programs at the UAA School of Education are no longer admitting students. The Board of Regents approved the discontinuation of the following initial licensure programs at the University of Alaska Anchorage, effective September 1, 2019:
- Bachelor of Arts, Elementary Education
- Post‐Baccalaureate, Elementary Education
- Master of Arts in Teaching, Secondary Education
- Bachelor of Arts, Early Childhood Education
- Post‐Baccalaureate, Early Childhood Education
- Graduate Certificate, Special Education (initial licensure)
- M.Ed, Early Childhood Special Education (initial licensure)
Programs NOT affected by the CAEP decision
- Early Childhood Associate of Applied Science
- Educational Leadership MEd and Grad Certification
- Master of Education in Teaching & Learning
- Language Education Grad Certification
- Speech-Language Pathology Programs
- Special Education, MEd & Grad Certification--(Special Education track that is not initial certification)
- Early Childhood Special Education, MEd--(EC Special Education tracks that are not initial certification)
- PACE 500-level courses
Resources for School of Education Students
UAF Call Center: 907-474-6447 or 907-474-6180
UAS Call Center: 907-796-6429
Additional support for SOE students:
UAA SOE accreditation update from Chancellor Sandeen (April 9)
Message from UA President Jim Johnsen (April 9)
The president's recommended motion passed 6 to 5: "The Board of Regents approves
the discontinuation of the following initial licensure programs at the University
of Alaska Anchorage, effective September 1, 2019:
Bachelor of Arts, Elementary Education;
Post‐Baccalaureate, Elementary Education;
Master of Arts in Teaching, Secondary Education;
Bachelor of Arts, Early Childhood Education;
Post‐Baccalaureate, Early Childhood Education;
Graduate Certificate, Special Education (initial licensure);
M.Ed, Early Childhood Special Education (initial licensure).
This motion is effective April 8, 2019.” BOR website.
Frequently Asked Questions, March 8
Memo from UAA Provost: Approval to temporarily suspend admissions to the BA Early Childhood, Post-Baccalaureate Certificate Early Childhood Pre-K-Third Grade, BA Elementary Education, Post-Baccalaureate Certificate Elementary Education, and MA Teaching (MAT), February 11
Letter to Teacher Education Students from UA President Jim Johnsen, February 5
DEED Press Release, February 5
Letter from Interim Director Claudia Dybdahl including transfer options to UAS and UAF, January 31
View the letter and accreditation report CAEP sent to the university on Jan 11, 2019. Accessible letter and report available. The UAA School of Education Self-Study Report and other key documents submitted to and received from CAEP as part of the accreditation process are available upon request from firstname.lastname@example.org or 907-786-1435.