Good news, Seawolves! The Administration/Humanities Building is officially open for normal business and classes as of Monday, Oct. 14. Thanks to faculty and staff for their flexibility working from temporary locations and students for their flexibility attending courses in alternate classrooms.
Special thanks to our amazing Facilities and Campus Services team and partners AMC Engineers, Vannoy Electric, North Form and Lake View for their work to get the building back up and running so quickly.
Initial Licensure Program Information
The School of Education received notification on Friday, January 11, 2019 that the Council for the Accreditation of Education Preparation (CAEP) revoked accreditation of initial licensure programs at the School of Education at UAA.
Initial licensure programs at the UAA School of Education are no longer admitting students. The Board of Regents approved the discontinuation of the following initial licensure programs at the University of Alaska Anchorage, effective September 1, 2019:
- Bachelor of Arts, Elementary Education
- Post‐Baccalaureate, Elementary Education
- Master of Arts in Teaching, Secondary Education
- Bachelor of Arts, Early Childhood Education
- Post‐Baccalaureate, Early Childhood Education
- Graduate Certificate, Special Education (initial licensure)
- M.Ed, Early Childhood Special Education (initial licensure)
Programs NOT affected by the CAEP decision
- Early Childhood Associate of Applied Science
- Educational Leadership MEd and Grad Certification
- Master of Education in Teaching & Learning
- Language Education Grad Certification
- Speech-Language Pathology Programs
- Special Education, MEd & Grad Certification--(Special Education track that is not initial certification)
- Early Childhood Special Education, MEd--(EC Special Education tracks that are not initial certification)
- PACE 500-level courses
Resources for School of Education Students
UAF Call Center: 907-474-6447 or 907-474-6180
UAS Call Center: 907-796-6429
Additional support for SOE students:
UAA SOE accreditation update from Chancellor Sandeen (April 9)
Message from UA President Jim Johnsen (April 9)
The president's recommended motion passed 6 to 5: "The Board of Regents approves
the discontinuation of the following initial licensure programs at the University
of Alaska Anchorage, effective September 1, 2019:
Bachelor of Arts, Elementary Education;
Post‐Baccalaureate, Elementary Education;
Master of Arts in Teaching, Secondary Education;
Bachelor of Arts, Early Childhood Education;
Post‐Baccalaureate, Early Childhood Education;
Graduate Certificate, Special Education (initial licensure);
M.Ed, Early Childhood Special Education (initial licensure).
This motion is effective April 8, 2019.” BOR website.
Frequently Asked Questions, March 8
Memo from UAA Provost: Approval to temporarily suspend admissions to the BA Early Childhood, Post-Baccalaureate Certificate Early Childhood Pre-K-Third Grade, BA Elementary Education, Post-Baccalaureate Certificate Elementary Education, and MA Teaching (MAT), February 11
Letter to Teacher Education Students from UA President Jim Johnsen, February 5
DEED Press Release, February 5
Letter from Interim Director Claudia Dybdahl including transfer options to UAS and UAF, January 31
View the letter and accreditation report CAEP sent to the university on Jan 11, 2019. Accessible letter and report available. The UAA School of Education Self-Study Report and other key documents submitted to and received from CAEP as part of the accreditation process are available upon request from email@example.com or 907-786-1435.