Student Services

COE students in dorm

Need help getting started? Go to the SOE Home and click on future students.

School of Education Student Services office is committed to helping students make their experience at UAA a success. Students are always welcome to stop by to see us in the Professional Studies Building, Room 218.

Call 907-786-4401 or email School of Education to make an appointment. Advising hours are Monday-Friday 9:00 am-3:45 pm. Walk-in hours are Tuesdays 2:00 -4:00 pm, Thursdays 9:00-11:00 am.

Make an Appointment with an Advisor

 Frequently Asked Questions

 The Basics

  • Why should I see an advisor?
  • When should I see an advisor?

    We recommend you see an advisor at least once a semester, early in the month before registration begins for the upcoming semester. We also recommend you meet with an advisor if you experience an academic difficulty with which you need assistance.

  • What is the difference between an academic advisor and a faculty advisor?

    An academic advisor assists you with entry level questions, orients you to the School of Education and your program, assists with paperwork (academic petitions, program applications, etc), and a variety of other complex issues that arise.

    Faculty advisors assist you with specific questions about programs and classes, help you clarify your intentions and define your specific areas of interest. They also act as mentors throughout your final two years.

    There is a fair amount of crossover, which can be confusing. Faculty will frequently refer you to us and we will refer you to them as needed. Don’t let that worry you. We work closely together to ensure that you get the best possible care and information.

  • What is the best way to contact my advisor? How do I make an appointment?

    Call 907-786-4401 or email School of Education to make an appointment. Advising hours are Monday-Friday 9:00 am-3:45 pm.


Academic Advising



  • How do I register for classes?

    Before registering, you must first be admitted to the university as a certificate-seeking, degree-seeking, or non-degree-seeking student. UAOnline is the central access point for all registration activity. UAA has an online step-by-step registration guideAcademic advisors are available to help you with registration and answer any questions that come up during the process.

  • What is the add/drop period?
    You may add or drop classes through UAOnline during the add/drop period. The Fall add/drop period begins in March, and the Spring and Summer add/drop period begins in November. The last day to drop a class is approximately one week after the first day of classes. To receive a 100% refund, students must drop before the deadline. Add/Drop dates and deadlines can be found on the Dates and Deadlines Calendar.
  • How do I withdraw from a class? Do I get my money back?
    Students may withdraw from a class after the drop period, but they will not receive a refund, and a “W” will appear on their transcript. Withdrawing from classes may affect financial aid eligibility. Withdrawal deadlines can be found on the Dates and Deadlines Calendar.       
  • Can I get into a closed class?
    Some courses offer a waitlist option. To add yourself to a waitlist for a closed class, enter the CRN in the Register/Add/drop page and click “Complete Registration Changes.” Then select “Waitlist” from the drop down menu and click “Complete Registration Changes” again.  If a seat becomes available in the class and your name is a t the top of the waitlist, you will receive an email in your preferred email account. You will have 48 hours after the e-mail is sent to register for the class. Otherwise, the system will remove you from the list and the next student will be notified. It is your responsibility to check your email regularly and to add yourself when a space opens in the class.  Waitlists are active only until the first day of class.


  • How do I apply for admission?

    Apply for admission to UAA through the UAA website and send academic transcripts to UAA Office of Admissions, 3211 Providence Drive, UC 106, Anchorage, AK 99508-4614.

    Post-baccalaureate and graduate programs may require Praxis scores and/or additional documents. See the admissions requirements for each program on the Programs and Degrees page in the School of Education website. 
  • How do I change my major?
    Students who have been formally admitted to a degree seeking status may submit a Change of Major form. Students must meet with an academic advisor from the new department to complete and sign the form. Changes at the same degree level as the admitted program will be processed with departmental approval. Students wishing to change to a lower degree (i.e. Baccalaureate to Associate) can do so. Students wishing to change from an Associate to Baccalaureate program must apply for admission to the new level even if previously admitted.

Financial Aid


  • What is Praxis? Do I have to take Praxis?
    The Praxis tests measure teacher candidates’ knowledge and skills. The tests are used for licensing and certification processes. UAA School of Education licensure programs also require passing Praxis scores to take most upper division classes. SOE Student Services offers practice Praxis tests and Praxis workshops. See your academic advisor for more information. Students register for Praxis tests through the ETS website: 

Background Checks

Field Placement

Back to top