Dual Credit

SOE Dean Dousay walks in the 2023 Fur Rondy Parade with Spirit and Seawolf students

The UAA School of Education (SOE) provides access for public high school and home school students to take college courses applicable to the OEC in Infant & Toddler Development, AAS in Early Childhood Education, or BA in Early Childhood Education

There are a variety of dual credit opportunities available to Alaska students including Middle College Programs, ANSEP, and Independent Dual Enrollment. The following FAQ helps students, parents, and school district administrators determine if the SOE's dual credit courses are the right choice for community needs.

Frequently Asked Questions

  • What is dual credit or dual/concurrent enrollment?

    The SOE offers dual credit academic coursework for secondary students either in direct partnership with a school district or indepdently. A variety of partnership models are available to help school districts meet this growing demand. Alternatively, if a student is interested, they can enroll in lower level EDEC coursework independently. Courses offered by dual credit meet secondary graduation requirements and undergraduate degree requirements at UAA. Courses and grades earned by dual credit appear on institutional trascripts, and credits are transferable across the universities within the UA System or as determiend by another receiving institution.

  • What is required for dual credit enrollment?

    To enroll in SOE dual credit courses, secondary students first need to apply for admission to UAA as a non-degree seeking student. Once admitted, the student's parents/guardian need to submit an authorization form, and then the student will be able to register for courses. Refer to Secondary Students Taking College Classes for more specific instructions.

  • What SOE courses are available for dual credit?

    The SOE regularly offers EDEC A105, A107, A190, and A242 in partnership with King Tech in ASD.  Additionally, we reserve up to 10 seats each semester in video conference sections of EDEC A105, A107, A108, A241, and A242 when possible to accommodate independent dual credit learners. School districts interested in offering any of the listed classes should contact the SOE Dean's Office to discuss options.

  • Why should a student consider dual credit?

    Taking dual credit classes can be both challenging and rewarding as you work towards your educational goals. This experience can also help you confirm or change educational goals as you explore career options.

  • How much do dual credit courses cost?

    If taking a dual credit course through a school district partnership, tuition and fees may be waived or covered by another source of funding (e.g., Perkins Grant or EdRising). If taking a dual credit course independently, students must pay regular tuition and fees. Additional funding support may be available by way of scholarships or special partnerships (e.g., EdRising).

  • Can I earn dual credit for completing the CDA modules as a child care employee?

    Yes! We encourage you to submit your CDA completion certificate along with the Certified Experience Credit Form and pay a fee of $150. This competency-based education experience will transfer in as EDEC A105 and EDEC A1XXX, for a total of six academic credits. 

  • What if I don't choose an Early Childhood Education degree program after graduation?

    EDEC A105 satisfies the Social Science General Education Requirement at UAA, making this a useful course to determine if Early Childhood Educaiton is the right career pathway for you. Even if you don't select the OEC, AAS, or BAEC, taking this course will help you satisfy the academic requirements of all majors. Additionally, any other EDEC coursework completed as a dual credit student may count as lower level electives for other majors at UAA, UAF, UAS or another university.