Civic engagement undergraduate certificate
Explore the civic engagement undergraduate certificate program at the University of Alaska Anchorage
UAA’s certificate in civic engagement is a unique opportunity to connect your major
study with community involvement. Through your coursework, you’ll take part in a variety
of service-learning experiences, internships, community-based research projects and
creative activities. At the same time, you’ll gain a broad civic perspective that
will enrich your life and career. The undergraduate certificate in civic engagement
is offered at the main campus in Anchorage, with select courses also available online.
Service and community-based learning in the civic engagement program
As a civic engagement student, you’ll complete service-learning assignments by providing direct service in a nonprofit or educational setting. You’ll also complete an internship in a nonprofit or governmental agency. Other hands-on opportunities include community-based research or advocacy projects and getting first-hand experience with grant proposals.
Civic engagement scholarships and financial aid
Get help with tuition and education expenses. As a civic engagement student, you may qualify for a number of scholarships as well as other types of financial assistance. Learn more about financial aid opportunities at UAA.
Did you know..
UAA’s Learning by Giving course grants have already awarded bus passes to residents of the women’s shelter AWAIC, eight months of transportation fuel for Beans Café’s youth hunger programs and early childhood education materials for the sexual violence prevention group STAR.
What can you do with a certificate in civic engagement from UAA?
Employers value the broad civic perspective and practical skills of UAA’s civic engagement
certificate alumni, who go beyond the typical work that other students might be doing
at the university and in the community.
Civic engagement careers
- Community supported agricultural entrepreneur
- Elementary school teacher
- Human service agencies
- Local government
By the numbers..
Civic engagement undergraduate certificate program highlights
Complement your bachelor’s degree with a certificate in civic engagement in a program that gives you the chance to work with community leaders and experience first-hand what it means to be an active, engaged citizen.
- Get extensive hands-on experiences working in the community. UAA’s program gives you unique opportunities to work directly with local organizations through internships, service learning and coursework. For example, the Learning by Giving class is assigned to distribute $10,000 to local nonprofits.
- Develop your community network. As a civic engagement student, you’ll have opportunities to attend monthly think tanks and the annual Urban in Alaska conference, both of which feature faculty, students and community members working together on issues of importance to the community.
- Work closely with expert faculty. The civic engagement program brings together top instructors from diverse research areas, including domestic violence, refugee resettlement and community-based learning. At UAA, you’ll also get to know your professors and benefit from close mentorship and personal interaction.
- Set yourself apart in the job market. Graduates of UAA’s certificate program are multi-faceted, integrative thinkers who are deeply engaged in the community and in their work – qualities that employers look for when building successful organizations.
Civic engagement undergraduate certificate program curriculumCoursework for the civic engagement program is designed to build communication and problem-solving skills, explore ways to effectively and ethically participate in a diverse global community and teach practical ways to apply civic engagement principles in work and life. You will be required to meet with a certificate advisor to create a plan of study that is integrated with your major course of study. The certificate requires a total of 27-33 credits to complete.
Top classes for civic engagement students
- In Introduction to Civic Engagement, you’ll learn about the types of civic engagement in a democracy, and explore topics such as environmental sustainability, community building and civil rights through reading, reflection and community-engaged service learning.
- In Civic Engagement: Learning by Giving, you’ll learn about the history and practice of philanthropy, and get to review and critique local grant proposals and award grant funds provided by local and national benefactors.