Computer systems engineering B.S.
Explore the computer systems engineering bachelor’s degree program at the University of Alaska AnchorageThe Bachelor of Science in computer systems engineering program features extensive research and hands-on learning opportunities to prepare you for careers and graduate study in computer systems.
Learning outcomes in the computer systems engineering program
The computer systems engineering program provides a strong background in software development as well as hardware and electronic systems. In the second half of your bachelor’s degree program you can focus your project work on topics that fit your interests and career objectives. Small classes allow you to work closely with faculty who bring professional experience and a real-world career perspective to the coursework.
Research in computer systems engineering
Program faculty have diverse research experience in areas ranging from artificial intelligence to virtual reality. Recent projects include:
- Teaching machines to compress images for NASA, identify injuries from MRI brain scans and authenticate a subject based on eye-gaze patterns.
- Using computer vision to detect and track a moving tennis ball.
- Working with computer network resiliency and cryptocurrencies such as bitcoin.
Experience academic excellence and exceptional value at UAA. The university offers a College of Engineering Scholarship as well as a number of private scholarships to help with tuition and education expenses. Learn more about financial aid opportunities at UAA.
Did you know..
In 2016, computing graduates reported an average starting salary of more than $60,000.
What can you do with a computer systems engineering degree from UAA?Prepare for graduate programs and careers around the world by earning a bachelor’s degree in computer systems engineering from UAA.
Computer systems engineering graduate programs
Prepares students for graduate study with cutting-edge technologies such as artificial intelligence and virtual reality. Alumni have gone on to pursue graduate degrees at Clemson, University of Southern California, UCLA, University of Utah, and others.
Computer systems engineering careers
Alumni have gone on to work as software engineers, software developers, programmers and database administrators. Employers include Intel, Microsoft, IBM, the State of Alaska, Alaska Railroad, Alutiiq, Resource Data Inc., PangoMedia and other tech firms in the Anchorage area.
Computer systems engineering bachelor’s degree program highlightsThe Bachelor of Science in computer systems engineering is accredited by the Engineering Accreditation Commission of ABET. This program prepares you for high-demand careers in information technology through the following opportunities:
- Gain real-world experience. Students gain hands-on job experience via semester-long paid internships with technology companies in Anchorage and around the nation.
- Take part in undergraduate research. Work directly with faculty on research projects in a variety of fields related to computer technology.
- Customize your program. Take advantage of opportunities to conduct project work that aligns with your interests and career goals.
- Take part in clubs and activities on campus. These include the Robotics Club, the Computer Security Club and the Computer Science Club.
- Access cutting-edge facilities and equipment. Study and work in the on-campus software engineering design lab.
Computer systems engineering bachelor’s degree program curriculumLike the computer science program, UAA’s computer systems engineering bachelor’s degree program provides training in software development but includes an additional emphasis on hardware and electronic systems. Core topics include computer organization and architecture, digital logic, embedded systems and electronic devices
Top classes for computer systems engineering majors
- Computer Architecture: Learn more about the hardware and software of today’s computers, tablets, video game consoles and smartphones.
- Machine Learning: Learn how a variety of machine learning algorithms work and apply them to all kinds of real-world problems.