Dental Hygiene B.S.
Explore the dental hygiene bachelor’s degree program at the University of Alaska AnchorageWith a strong reputation for excellence among dental hygiene schools, UAA trains licensed oral health educators and clinicians. Dental hygienists are an important part of a dental team, helping individuals, groups and communities improve and maintain good oral — and overall — health.
Dental hygiene scholarships and financial aid
You may qualify and apply for institutional and private scholarships to help you pay for college. Learn more about these and other financial aid opportunities at UAA.
Licensed dental hygienists
Through clinical experience and classroom instruction, you’ll be prepared to sit for the National Board Dental Hygiene Examination and Western Regional Examining Boards to become a licensed practitioner in dental hygiene.
Student advising and support
Meet with the Dental Hygiene Program Advisor to get answers to your questions as well as suggestions for submitting a strong program application.
Already earned a dental assisting degree or certificate from an American Dental Association accredited program? You may be able to apply course credit toward your bachelor’s degree in dental hygiene. Contact a program advisor at 907-786-4346 to learn more.
Did you know..
The UAA Dental Hygiene program boasts a 100 percent first-attempt pass rate on the dental hygiene national board exams.
What can you do with a dental hygiene degree from UAA?Work in a variety of health care environments, including private dental offices, public health clinics, managed care organizations, nursing homes, hospitals, schools and correctional institutions.
Dental hygiene graduate programs
Specialize in a mid-level oral healthcare provider degree program such as dental therapy or apply your knowledge and skills in graduate school programs such as these:
- Master of Public Health
- Master of Public Administration
- Health policy
- Licensed clinicians
- Educators and consultants
- Researchers and editors
- Administrators and managers
- Preventive program developers
- Consumer advocates
- Sales and marketing managers
By the numbers..
Dental hygiene bachelor’s degree program highlightsLearn a variety of preventive, educational and therapeutic methods and techniques through classroom, laboratory and clinical experience to prepare you for work as a licensed practitioner in oral health care.
- Work in a clinical setting to gain first-hand experience with patient care. As a dental hygiene major, you will complete practicum experiences using the most current technology in the UAA Dental Hygiene Clinic.
- Gain additional hands-on experience providing oral health care through externships. Externships in off-campus environments provide unique opportunities to work with diverse populations. For example, dental hygiene majors have worked in the city and community of Sand Point, providing dental care in rural Alaska clinics.
- Participate in service learning projects and activities. At UAA’s annual community dental health event, you can use your skills and work with diverse community groups to identify and help meet the oral health needs of underserved populations.
- Learn from dedicated, student-centered faculty and instructors committed to your future. Program faculty and staff are licensed dental hygienists and dentists.
Amazing stories from our majors
“I like the program because I’m learning a lot about my career and about myself all of the time. This program and the amazing individuals in it, whether they are students or faculty, encourage you to become your best self.”
Dental hygiene bachelor’s degree program curriculumThrough a combination of course activities, evening classes and clinical experiences, you will gain broad, entry-level knowledge and skills in community oral health. You can also complete advanced training in a specialized dental hygiene practice area, such as restorative functions or educational methods.
Top classes for dental hygiene majors
- Help teach lower level students in clinical laboratory courses in Instructional Practicum in Dental Hygiene.
- Experience life in a rural community while providing dental hygiene care at a local dental clinic in Rural Practicum in Dental Hygiene.
- Explore bioethical issues related to health care in Biomedical Ethics.