Hospitality Administration B.A.
Explore the Hospitality Administration bachelor’s degree program at the University of Alaska Anchorage
Hospitality, tourism, event planning, catering, restaurant management, hotel management
and eco-tourism are some of the fastest growing industries in Alaska and around the
world. UAA’s hospitality administration program not only prepares you for entry-level
positions in these dynamic careers, but also gives you the skills and experience to
advance to middle and upper-level management opportunities.
What you’ll learn
This program prepares you to develop a career in your preferred area of hospitality administration. You’ll learn to manage hotel operations, restaurant operations, events, catering, conferencing, tourism, accounting and everything in between. You’ll also get experience writing menus and analyzing food costs, as well as gain real-world experiences through valuable hospitality administration internships in Anchorage.
Hospitality administration scholarships and financial aid
Get help with tuition and education expenses. As a hospitality administration major, you can qualify for the UAA Hospitality Administration Scholarship, the Dean Radcliffe Scholarship and other financial assistance. Learn more about financial aid opportunities at UAA.
What can you do with a bachelor’s degree in hospitality administration from UAA?
This program will prepare you for a wide variety of careers involving the professional
management of restaurants, hotels, resorts, tourism, catering and conferencing operations
Hospitality administration careers
- Hotel manager
- Restaurant manager
- Housekeeping operations
- Human resources manager
- Front desk manager
- Food and beverage manager
- Event planner
- Catering/conferencing manager
- Tourism operations
By the numbers..
Hospitality administration bachelor’s degree program highlights
In UAA’s hospitality administration program, you don’t have to choose between hotel management and culinary arts — you get to do both! The following are some of the opportunities you’ll have access to in this innovative bachelor’s degree program:
- Get real-world hospitality administration experience. The bachelor’s degree program includes a 600-hour paid internship that provides direct, hands-on hotel and restaurant management experience during your senior year of study.
- Develop skills and professional connections through UAA partnerships with other top schools. You have the option to complete two semesters of hospitality administration studies at either the University of Nevada Las Vegas (UNLV) or Northern Arizona University (NAU), through the National Student Exchange program (NSE). Course work completed at UNLV or NAU transfers back to UAA and is counted toward your graduation requirements. If you plan to work in foodservices in the area of healthcare you can also complete a nutrition minor at UAA.
- Work in small classes with expert faculty. UAA hospitality administration faculty have years of industry experience and work closely with students as teachers and mentors.
- Work in state-of-the-art kitchen and bakery lab facilities. Spacious culinary learning labs in Cuddy Hall allow you to train on the same state-of-the-art industry equipment that you will find in the professional culinary world.
Amazing stories from hospitality administration majors
The University of Alaska Anchorage really does train industry professionals and I’m very proud to be one of them.
Hospitality administration bachelor’s degree program curriculumThe hospitality administration bachelor’s degree covers a variety of service industry and essential business skills. You’ll learn techniques for working in a commercial kitchen and a bakery. You’ll learn about food safety and sanitation, as well as event planning and conference and catering operations. Courses also cover topics such as hotel operations, purchasing, accounting, human resource management and business law and ethics. The capstone experience for the bachelor’s degree is a 600-hour internship that provides hands-on hotel and restaurant operations management experience during your final year of study.
Top classes for hospitality administration majors
- Culinary and Bakery Skill Development Laboratories
- Hospitality Service Restaurant Laboratory
- Human Resource Management