Legal Nurse Consultant Paralegal Undergraduate Certificate
Explore the LNC paralegal certificate program at the University of Alaska Anchorage
The University of Alaska Anchorage prepares you for the American Association of Legal
Nurse Consultants Certification Exam, which is accredited by the American Board of
Nursing Specialties. The certificate program is open to registered nurses (RNs), students
with an existing nursing degree from an accredited institution and students who are
currently in the nursing major or pre-major. You must be a licensed RN in order to
complete the certificate and qualify to sit for the certification exam.
As an ABA-approved program, UAA’s LNC paralegal certificate program offers the same core education as the paralegal studies associate degree program, plus specialized courses related to legal nurse consultancy.
LNC paralegal scholarships and financial aid
You may qualify for Justice Center UAA Administration scholarships or the Alaska Association of Paralegals scholarship, as well as university-funded scholarships. Learn more from the UAA Office of Financial Aid.
UAA’s ABA-approved LNC paralegal certificate program offers some online courses in addition to lectures and in-class simulations on the Anchorage campus.
Transfer credits to earn your degree faster
If you’ve completed coursework in an ABA-approved paralegal program at a U.S. institution, you could qualify for transfer credit. Previous academic knowledge and experience may fulfill legal specialty, non-legal specialty and general education course requirements to help you graduate in less than 18 months. For more information, refer to the UAA course catalog and meet with an advisor.
Student advising and support
Program faculty mentors and internship coordinators are here to help you get the most from your certificate program and prepare for the future. Get help with the application and admission, class scheduling, prerequisite preparation, elective recommendations and more.
Student clubs and activities
Participate in public service activities through student clubs such as these:
Did you know..
Are you a current or future nurse interested in a legal career? Earn an undergraduate certificate for legal nurse consultant paralegals to build a paraprofessional career that combines medical expertise and legal knowledge.
What can you do with an LNC paralegal certificate from UAA?
With specialized knowledge and skills in nursing and paralegal studies, legal nurse
consultants have a variety of options to advance their education and careers.
Careers for LNC paralegals
Certified LNC paralegals work in justice, health care and business for a variety of organizations, including:
- Law firms
- Health care institutions
- Insurance companies
- Government agencies
- Corporate legal departments
- Legal and public service agencies
- State and federal agencies and court systems
By the numbers..
LNC paralegal certificate program highlights
UAA’s undergraduate legal nurse consultant paralegal certificate is specifically designed for licensed RNs and students who intend to become licensed RNs and offers specialized coursework at the intersection of health care and law.
- Learn from well-established lawyers who have diverse educational backgrounds and exceptional experience. All faculty in the ABA-approved LNC paralegal certificate program hold Juris Doctor (J.D.) degrees and practiced for years before joining UAA’s Justice Center. Their specialties include criminal law, tribal courts, health law and civil liberties.
- Use the UAA Justice Center’s student computer lab and academic advisors. Home to all justice and legal studies degree programs at the University of Alaska Anchorage, the Justice Center is also a hub of research in law, justice and diverse crime issues, including violence against women, recidivism and the court systems.
- Pro bono service honors. The UAA Justice Center awards pro bono service honors to undergraduate students who work toward improving access to justice. Contribute 50 volunteer hours or more of service to an approved Alaska legal aid agency to qualify.
- UAA Consortium Library. Visit the library to access legal cases, statutes, legal encyclopedias, law journals, the U.S. Supreme Court Library, Alaska Statutes and the Alaska Legal Digest through Westlaw Campus Research. A library liaison provides program-specific research guides and meets with students to hone research skills.
- UAA Career Exploration and Services. The UAA Career Exploration and Services Center can help you find paraprofessional job placements to begin your legal career after you earn your undergraduate certificate.
LNC paralegal certificate program curriculum
Complementing your medical expertise in terminology and procedures, UAA’s undergraduate certificate program for legal nurse consultants offers specialized coursework in health care law, legal processes, government regulations, research, writing and computer applications.
Specialty courses build a foundation of knowledge in legal practice while developing practical skills to prepare you for a career as an LNC paralegal.
Top classes in the LNC paralegal certificate program
- Prepare written discovery requests in Evidence, Investigation and Discovery
- Learn about emerging health legislation and policy developments in the health care field in Health Care Law and Regulatory Compliance
- Depose a witness in a personal injury case as you are recorded by a court reporter-videographer in Torts, Workers’ Compensation and Insurance Law.