Medical Laboratory Technology A.A.S.
Explore the medical laboratory technology associate degree program at the University of Alaska Anchorage
What is a medical laboratory technician?
With strong analytical and communication skills, medical lab techs build entry-level competencies and careers in routine clinical laboratory testing. As an integral part of a health care team, they provide external relations, customer service and patient education while complying with safety and governmental regulations.
Medical laboratory technology scholarships and financial aid
University, department and program scholarships and awards may help you pay for college. You may also qualify for support from private funders, such as the Clinical Laboratory Scientists of Alaska and the American Society for Clinical Laboratory Science.
Pre-medical and full-major academic advising
From admission requirements to degree program requirements, there’s a lot to know as you work toward your educational and career goals. At UAA, academic and faculty advisors answer your questions and help you develop a plan to earn your associate degree in the medical laboratory technology program.
Honors in medical laboratory technology
Graduate with departmental honors by earning a 3.5 GPA in medical laboratory science degree program courses and completing a quality assessment project in the Medical Laboratory Science Honors elective course.
Medical laboratory technology student clubs and activities
In UAA’s medical laboratory technology program, you are encouraged to make the most of opportunities for leadership and professional development, such as activities and events sponsored by the Medical Laboratory Science Club. This student club organizes and hosts blood drives, community service projects and fundraising events that help cover costs to attend the Clinical Laboratory Scientists of Alaska State Conference.
Did you know..
Earn your associate degree, then apply your course credits directly toward the bachelor’s degree in medical laboratory science at UAA. This accredited degree program teaches you the advanced knowledge and skills necessary for national certification as a medical laboratory scientist.
What can you do with a medical lab tech degree from UAA?
Prepare to work in clinical labs in a variety of fields, such as blood banking and
coagulation, clinical chemistry, microbiology, serology/hematology, urine and body
fluid analysis, immunology and immunohematology, laboratory operations and molecular
and other emerging diagnostics.
Medical laboratory technology related programs
Students who graduate from UAA’s medical laboratory technology program further develop their knowledge and skills in bachelor’s degree programs, such as:
- B.S. in medical laboratory science
- B.S. in health sciences
Medical laboratory technology careers
Medical lab techs are in high demand at major clinical facilities in Alaska and beyond, including:
- Health and medical clinics
- Medical and diagnostic labs
- Doctors’ offices
By the numbers..
Medical laboratory technology associate degree program highlights
Addressing a critical shortage of qualified job candidates in the field, UAA’s medical laboratory technology program prepares students with the knowledge, skills and experience necessary for national certification exams and professional practice.
- Learn from professionals in the field who boast a variety of experience and expertise. Program faculty with advanced degrees teach coursework in UAA’s medical laboratory technology program. With extensive networks in clinical facilities and professional organizations across Alaska and the U.S., faculty also offer academic and professional opportunities that strengthen the program.
- Practice using high-tech instrumentation and equipment in the student lab. Tutorials and simulations help you gain hands-on experience working in medical labs.
- Conduct clinical lab testing while working with certified professional medical laboratory technicians. The program partners with clinical affiliates to offer job experience for undergraduate students. In clinical practicum placements, you’ll work with other health care professionals, abnormal patient samples, additional instrumentation and advanced testing methods.
Amazing stories from medical laboratory technology majors
UAA's MLS program is a great program and I believe that it effectively prepares its students for the workplace, as well as for advanced degrees in related fields
Medical laboratory technology associate degree program curriculum
Emphasizing valuable job skills, including analytical and communication skills, UAA’s
medical laboratory technology coursework covers a variety of topics that reflect the
changing dynamics and growing needs of the industry. Study information processing,
quality control monitoring, training and more.
Students who earn an Associate of Applied Science in medical laboratory technology are prepared for primary analyst roles in entry-level positions at clinical laboratories.
Top classes for medical laboratory technology majors
- Clinical Correlations
- Hematology and Coagulation
- Cultural Diversity in Health Care