Physical Therapist Assistant A.A.S.
Explore the physical therapist assistant associate degree program at the University of Alaska AnchorageTo help address the shortage of qualified PTAs in Alaska, this accredited associate degree program prepares undergraduate students to sit for the National Physical Therapy Examination for Physical Therapist Assistants. All states require PTAs to be licensed or certified.
Physical therapist assistant scholarships and financial aid
Student advising and support
Student clubs and activities
- Alaska Physical Therapy Association
Did you know..
Our program’s students have earned the highest score possible on the National Physical Therapy Examination for Physical Therapist Assistants.
What can you do with a physical therapist assistant degree from UAA?
Preparing you for entry-level employment as a licensed physical therapist assistant,
UAA’s program offers a variety of pathways to opportunities for independent practice
and career advancement.
- Bachelor of Science in Kinesiology
- Doctor of Occupational Therapy
- Bachelor of Science in health sciences, pre-professional track with an emphasis in physical therapy
Physical therapist assistant careers
- Rehabilitation centers
- Nursing homes
- Home and public health agencies
- Private practices
- Military services
By the numbers..
Physical therapist assistant associate degree program highlights
Get real-world experience interacting with patients, families and other health care professionals and responding to the changing dynamics of health care systems.
- Gain 15 weeks of on-the-job-training at clinical sites in Anchorage and throughout Alaska. You’ll complete three clinical rotations — a one-week experience in the spring and two seven-week rotations in the fall — with clinical instructors who provide hands-on instruction in patient care.
- Learn from program faculty who have advanced training and experience in physical therapy. Led by the Alaska Physical Therapy Association president, program faculty are all licensed to practice in Alaska. Their specialties include orthopedics, ergonomics, lymphedema, cardiopulmonary and vascular systems, acute care and ICU, psychosocial adaptation to disability and differential diagnosis.
Physical therapist assistant associate degree program curriculum
With a focus on evidence-based practice, as well as ethical, legal and regulatory standards, UAA’s physical therapist associate degree program explores principles of physical, biological and behavioral sciences as they relate to clinical practice.
You’ll learn to conduct exercises for mobility, coordination and strength. You’ll also develop skills in manual therapy and physical agents like electrotherapy, heat or cold, and learn to train clients to use assistive devices such as crutches and walkers.
Top classes for physical therapist assistant majors
- Kinesiology and Biomechanics
- Psychosocial Aspects of Health Care
- Therapeutic Exercise