Degree Programs

Undergraduate Degrees

Occupational Endorsements

Occupational endorsements are certificates requiring 29 or fewer credits to complete. These certificates provide the specialized knowledge and skills needed in specific employment sectors.

Majors for occupational endorsements


Undergraduate certificates are programs of 30 credits or more that offer focused instruction in a concentrated area. They are particularly useful in scientific or technical areas such as health care, computer systems, transportation or industrial technology. Certificates often provide the knowledge and skills needed for entry-level positions in specific employment sectors.

Majors for undergraduate certificates

Associate Degrees

Associate degrees are programs of 60 credits or more that combine focused coursework in a major field with broad studies in the general education areas of written and oral communication, humanities, math, and natural and social sciences. The following associate degrees are available at UAA:

Associate of Arts
A broad-based program of studies that may be used to satisfy a student's educational needs, or may be used as a basis for transfer into a selected baccalaureate degree field.
Associate of Applied Science
A focused curriculum that prepares students for a position in a particular field of employment or endeavor. Students build knowledge and skills needed to carry out specific tasks while they develop their abilities in communications, computation and human relations that are so valued by employers and our society.
Majors for associate degrees

Baccalaureate Degree

Baccalaureate, or bachelor, degrees are organized programs or study that consist of 120 credits or more. They provide extensive preparation in specific knowledge areas, and promote in students the abilities to reason, research, and analyze, and to form, support and communicate their ideas and opinions. The following baccalaureate degrees are available at UAA:

Bachelor of Arts (BA)
Bachelor of Business Administration (BBA)
Bachelor of Fine Arts (BFA)
Bachelor of Human Services (BHS)
Bachelor of Liberal Studies (BLS)
Bachelor of Music (BM)
Bachelor of Science (BS)
Bachelor of Social Work (BSW)
Majors for baccalaureate degrees

Post-Baccalaureate Certificates

Post-baccalaureate certificate programs present a cohesive sequence of related courses designed to provide continuing education past the baccalaureate level. Upon completion of a certificate, students will have acquired an area of specialization, interdisciplinary perspective or will have completed requirements for professional certifications awarded by agencies outside the university. Post-baccalaureate certificates are designed with a majority of undergraduate course work.

Majors for post-baccalaureate certificates


Graduate Certificates

A graduate-level certificate program is a cohesive sequence of related graduate courses.  These programs are designed to provide graduate education past the baccalaureate level and/or to enhance the education of students who have already completed a master degree. Students will complete a linked series of courses, which may include a capstone experience or project that focuses their intellectual experience.

The UAA College of Education recommends students for certification or endorsement to the Alaska Department of Education and Early Development upon successful completion of graduate programs. Students admitted to these programs are assigned to a faculty member who serves as an academic advisor. Contact the College of Education for more information.

Majors for graduate certificates


Graduate Degrees

Graduate Degree

Graduate degrees at the master level require that students complete a program of studies consisting of at least 30 credits beyond the baccalaureate degree.  Programs are individualized and approved by a committee of graduate faculty for each student. The following master degrees are available at UAA:

Master (M)
Master of Arts (MA)
Master of Arts in Teaching (MAT)
Master of Business Administration (MBA)
Master of Civil Engineering (MCE)
Master of Education (M.Ed.)
Master of Fine Arts (MFA)
Master of Public Administration (MPA)
Master of Public Health (MPH)
Master of Science (MS)
Master of Social Work (MSW)

Majors for graduate (master) degrees



If you are taking classes for any reason other than to obtain a degree (for example, professional development, recreation, or personal interest) you are non-degree-seeking.

Non-degree-seeking students are not eligible for financial aid.

Need Help Selecting a Degree?

If you have any questions about how to choose a degree program please contact Enrollment Management at (907) 786-1480 and ask to speak to an Admission Advisor, use our contact us form or send e-mail to You can also contact the department that teaches the subject you want to study (see the Majors page for web contact information).